Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone out here can help my. I picked up an air compressor that had a 1990 6at. I pulled the monster with plans to install it in my 1931 Oldsmobile. Can anyone suggest any transmission options I could use ? Or where I might find parts. Any help would be greatl!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It would help if you identified the bellhousing (if any) that came with the 6at.

Start with this SAE bellhousing link:

Russ

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
The 6AT is not one we see too often. It's a 3.4L 6 with up to 125 HP. It was originally designed for Onan generators to replace the Ford 300 gas 6 cylinder. Other applications were irrigation pumps, air compressors, and there was a street model for delivery vans that replaced the Chevy inline 6. It's just kind of on the rare side. Not sure what bellhousing yours came with. Could be small block Ford, Chevy, or SAE. Might do nicely in the old Olds as it would have far more power than the OEM engine. Might post a photo of the rear and some measurements to identify the mounting. Does the engine have its ID plate? That can provide very useful info. Engine serial # would be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The diagram above looks like an SAE housing, probably a #3. You would then need a plate from there to automotive trans bolt pattern, I have one if you would like a picture. They are often found while trolling in big truck wrecking yards. Many trans. bolt patterns are similar, GM are most popular. Have to figure what trans you wish to use. Flywheel/clutch on there probably not work for automotive use.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
OK, you engine came with flywheel housing C0101073801 which is SAE. Specs indicate this is SAE4. Here's the diagram. Not sure if the flywheel that came with it can be adapted to a road transmission but specs say it's for a 10" over center clutch. It will take a special adapter to join the SAE4 to a transmission. Phoenix Casting and Machining list a SAE4 setup for a GM, Ford, and Chrysler. You'd need to check with them on that issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts