Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this 93 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban with about 220k mi on it and the 454 is getting tired. I bought a 4bt planning on swapping and I have alot of the project figured out but the thing that's been bugging me lately is the transmission.

This truck has a 4L80E which is in need of a rebuild. I was thinking of rebuilding it myself and getting a new torque converter while I was at it. Then adding a trans controller from PCS to control the electronics and all. But now that I'm thinking about it I'd probably be into this for over $1000 for the trans just to get the existing one in there and working with no idea how it'll hold up behind the 4bt.

Yesterday I started thinking about going to an NV4500 since there would be no need for a $700 controller for the trans. But I've never tried to swap a manual into a vehicle that originally had an auto. So I don't know if it would end up making any more sense than my original plan. But I really do like manuals better than autos.

My major questions are how much can I expect to pay for a NV4500 in decent shape, and how much would the shifter and clutch petal/linkage/hydrolics cost?

I'm assuming the best option would be finding a truck at a yard that has a manual w/ 4x4 and pull everything at once since the trucks and suburbans share alot.

So those who have done swaps already which way would you go? This truck is mostly going to be used for road trips, camping/hunting and pulling a flatbed trailer with a Jeep.

Thanks,
Andy beer

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Fangoul,

1. The 4l80e aren't cheap to rebuild,but it also depends on what you replaced and don't.
2. The 4L80e will hold up to the 4bt just fine,They are rated for 480 lb
3. You could get a manual in that burb ,rare but there out there,so yes would need to get peds of the same bodt style of truck/burb.
4. Nv4500 manual trans,
Gm made a odd ball for the first two years,in that they are different than the dodge Nv4500.The gm had different bellhousing bolt spacing,input cann' t be swaped.
In 96 both Gm,Dodge are about the same .
5.If your going to keep you t-case than you need a Gm Nv4500 after 96 and swap in a dodge input ,dodge adapter plate and flywheel.By doing this your engine will be straight(no tilt) use stock dodge 5.9 CTD clutch assy.
6.The cost of a Nv4500 $1200 - 2000.00 . depends on what you wanta used one or reman.
7. the shifters stick has to match the trans,Gm and dodge are different.

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of good info! Thanks CrewCab59!

4. Nv4500 manual trans,
Gm made a odd ball for the first two years,in that they are different than the dodge Nv4500.The gm had different bellhousing bolt spacing,input cann' t be swaped.
In 96 both Gm,Dodge are about the same .
So do you mean that GM used a different bellhousing pattern to the engine or a different pattern between the bellhousing and the trans?

5.If your going to keep you t-case than you need a Gm Nv4500 after 96 and swap in a dodge input ,dodge adapter plate and flywheel.By doing this your engine will be straight(no tilt) use stock dodge 5.9 CTD clutch assy.
Would I need a GM trans just to be able to adapt to the t-case?

6.The cost of a Nv4500 $1200 - 2000.00 . depends on what you wanta used one or reman.
Ok along the lines of this. If I were to do like you said in 5 above do you think I could find a shop that could rebuild a trans with a dodge input? Or would I have to get 2 transmissions and piece them together?

Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
trans

I am in the same boat you are with the trans. I am not an export in the area but here is what I understand thus far.

The GM and Dodge NV4500 post 96 are the same (basically). There are subtle differences such as synchronized reverse (i believe) for Dodge. The GM case does not have the fifth gear problem Dodges do. You can have a GM case built with a Dodge input (I am going that route). The Dodge case has a 29 spline output, GM a 32. For Tcases, you have quite a range of option except for ford tcases (in general). Not all the answers you seek but a start on you quest

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Lots of good info! Thanks CrewCab59!

So do you mean that GM used a different bellhousing pattern to the engine or a different pattern between the bellhousing and the trans?

Would I need a GM trans just to be able to adapt to the t-case?

Ok along the lines of this. If I were to do like you said in 5 above do you think I could find a shop that could rebuild a trans with a dodge input? Or would I have to get 2 transmissions and piece them together?

Thanks a lot!!
1.The first two years Gm had different trans to bellhousing bolt spacing!
so 96 and newer GM and Dodge are about the same.

2. You can use a dodge trans and a Gm t-case ,but you'll have to swap out the input it the t-case from a 32 spline to a 29.

3. If you go Gm Nv4500 than any trans shop can install the dodge input ,seal,spacer, Or you can do that your self and save some $$$

I hope that this helps,if not ask away.

Scott

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
First let me say that I have not done this swap. If your front differential has a drivers side drop and you want to go with the NV4500 I would find a 94 or newer Dodge 4wd with the 6BT and buy everything from the bare back of the 6BT block through the driveshafts along with the transfer case & shifters, starter, flywheel, adapter, bell housing etc. This may require some heating and beating of the upper frame channel for clearance where the starter attaches to the adapter. This is usually cheaper than buying $400 transfer case input shafts and clocking/spacer adapters along with custom transmission input shafts. The reason the 4500 holds up so good in the GM application is there is usually a smooth running 8 cylinder engine in front of it. The other plus factor is if you need a clutch, starter, or related item you simply go and buy a Dodge replacement part. It gets really pricey once you start doing rebuilds along with mixing and matching custom parts but it can be done that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts