Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am still tossing around gearbox options. i am a mega tightarse. i have a dodge prime mover here. it has an np541 trans in it. this is a 5 speed. it has a crawler 1st, 2nd 4.33, 3rd 2.61, 4th 1.59, 5th direct. this is opposed to my t-18. crawler, 3.34, 1.66, direct. the gaps between top and the next gear are close. the prime mover also has a joey box. it has a 2.23 1st, direct 2nd and a 0.85 to 1 overdrive. i am sure that between these two i would have enough ratios. they are bloody heavy. :eek: the main advantage with themover any other trans is i have them, and enough gear to get them to work in my car. speedo aside. a landcruiser 5 speed would mean one less stick, and lighter. but i don't have one, and am not sure about how to get rid of the transfer. any suggestions ? and an nv4500 is around 3-3500 here. (tightarse remember.)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, i could just use the 2.75 diff gears. gives me 1900 odd rpm at 65. o/d would be nice. i will work on that later.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i suppose the question i really am asking is am i better off with slightly lower diff gears, with overdrive top. or is a set of taller diff gears with direct top going to work ok.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
I would use the method you suggested in post #2. Fewer moving parts to contend with means less parts to maintain. The prime mover was designed for various speeds and various load carrying capacities and geared to handle those situations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
np541

Buddy want's overdrive in F450 bread van, has np435. Okay, we found a np540 at a junkyard, condition input shaft and parking brake were stuck. PTO was missing but we could make a plate. Came out of a dump truck with 430FE engine , probably direct in 5th. Can we rebuild 541 direct into 541 overdrive? We found a z5-42 for $250 without the stick, good ratios but the 18" setback puts the shifter even with the back of the driver's seat. no good. Looking for IH T34, Clark 282vo?, np 541od what else for back of a ford 302 type 4bt adapter? Don't have any assurance clark282vo is Ford T18 compatible at front, know for sure that fs4205B fuller it has been replaced by is a sae#2 front, not T18 compatible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts