Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. . .I am a newbie to this engine. . .I have a 4BT in a Wonderbread truck. . .love the little guy. . .serves me well without problems. . .but it seems lately my mileage has gone down. . .I was getting 16 -18.5 when I got it about a year ago. . now I am doing around 14. . .I have:

1) Changed oil regularly
2) Changed fuel filter recently
3) Installed a high performance K&N air filter

Are there any things I should be doing for regular maintenance. . .like a tuneup???? It uses about 1 quart of oil every 5000 miles.

I appreciate your input. . .

Thanks,

Danny

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,655 Posts
The biggest change is the ULS Diesel fuel. It has fewer BTU's that the old LS Diesel fuel, therefore you have to use more throttle to get the same response.
That's my guess anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
any loss of power?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The biggest change is the ULS Diesel fuel. It has fewer BTU's that the old LS Diesel fuel, therefore you have to use more throttle to get the same response.
That's my guess anyway.
I had a big mileage decrease that coincided with uls diesel (3-4mpg). Various tweaking got me back to within 1mpg of original mileage. Recent intake restriction repair has gotten me above original mileage. However, please check all these mechanical things because these could damage the engine if overlooked.
Carl

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
I had a big mileage decrease that coincided with uls diesel (3-4mpg). Various tweaking got me back to within 1mpg of original mileage. Recent intake restriction repair has gotten me above original mileage. However, please check all these mechanical things because these could damage the engine if overlooked.
Carl
Here in NZ we went to low sulphur diesel about 2 years ago, some pump stations had been selling it for the last 5 years.
I haven't noticed any drop in mpg. But I don't know how far we are from ultra low sulphur diesel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts