Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering a Turbo blanket for my hx30w. Kind of expensive for what they are. Anybody got experience, recommendations? I’m mainly doing it for heat reduction. I noticed the motor mount on that side of the engine is starting to crack.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I’m an idiot. I did a search and found many threads on this subject. Even one that I commented on years ago. So my new question. Which brand? I would like the best materials which appear to be the lava stuff?

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Here's one from Thermal Zero for $105. Made in USA. Holset HX30W Turbo Blanket Heat Insulating Cover – Black | Thermal Zero They also sell the Lava model for $165. You'd have to ask them what difference that ground up lava rock makes in the performance. Those are the only ones I know of for the HX30W. The other option is ceramic coating the turbine housing and that is not cheap if you use a high quality coating. They make coatings that range from around 1000 deg which is mostly for cosmetic parts up to around 6000 deg which is for space age parts. On that one if you have to ask you probably can't afford it. Jay Leno used that on his boiler on a Doble auto. Put an acetylene torch on one side of an 1/8" panel and your hand on the other side and it isn't even warm.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's one from Thermal Zero for $105. Made in USA. Holset HX30W Turbo Blanket Heat Insulating Cover – Black | Thermal Zero They also sell the Lava model for $165. You'd have to ask them what difference that ground up lava rock makes in the performance. Those are the only ones I know of for the HX30W. The other option is ceramic coating the turbine housing and that is not cheap if you use a high quality coating. They make coatings that range from around 1000 deg which is mostly for cosmetic parts up to around 6000 deg which is for space age parts. On that one if you have to ask you probably can't afford it. Jay Leno used that on his boiler on a Doble auto. Put an acetylene torch on one side of an 1/8" panel and your hand on the other side and it isn't even warm.
Thanks for the link Charley,
Mine is ceramic coated. I did not buy the pretty stuff. I think they said it’s good to about 2000. I had both the manifold and hot side of the turbo done. I think I paid about $400. (Each) Next question, if I put a blanket on it now, will the ceramic coat be damaged?

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
I wouldn't think the blanket would have any effect on the ceramic. Are you saying the heat transfer is still too hot with the ceramic? Exhaust manifold and turbine housing should be moderately warm to hot but not that hot. Do you have access to a gun to check your heat on those parts. Sounds like your coating was for cosmetics only and not heat rejection. Did they coat the parts on both the inside and outside?

Barlow, adding the thermal blanket could improve EGT but mainly will make the turbo more efficient. The exhaust heat in the turbine housing is the energy that drive the turbo.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't think the blanket would have any effect on the ceramic. Are you saying the heat transfer is still too hot with the ceramic? Exhaust manifold and turbine housing should be moderately warm to hot but not that hot. Do you have access to a gun to check your heat on those parts. Sounds like your coating was for cosmetics only and not heat rejection. Did they coat the parts on both the inside and outside?

Barlow, adding the thermal blanket could improve EGT but mainly will make the turbo more efficient. The exhaust heat in the turbine housing is the energy that drive the turbo.
I did not buy cosmetic. Mine is dull gray and bumpy. The But it still gets hot. To block a torch they have to spray it an inch thick. I pointed a lazar temp gun at my turbo when idling and got about 400. I don’t believe they coat the inside of a turbo. As far as

I saw a video on Utube that said EGTs will go up slightly with a blanket. It also said the temp of the exhaust pipe goes up dramatically.

·
Registered
293 Posts
OK, I’m an idiot. I did a search and found many threads on this subject. Even one that I commented on years ago. So my new question. Which brand? I would like the best materials which appear to be the lava stuff?
Lava...many different vendors and a broad price range...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I use their turbo blanket and exhaust manifold blanket...be warned, "wear gloves when working with these blankets".

Reactions: Redark1

·
Registered
13,298 Posts
Like I've said, these coating come in all grades. There are some that are more cosmetic and others that are more heat rejection. And yes, they do coat insides of exhaust manifolds and turbine housings. 400 deg F at idle does not sound like any heat rejection at all. Here's the video of Jay Leno's Doble steam engine fire box. It has a 6000 deg F heat rejection costing and no it isn't an inch thick. This is a space age coating designed for rocket engines etc. That company is Plasma Coating Corporation of America . There is a company here in North Caroline called Jet Hot who is one of the oldest coat companies. They don't do the super high performance version like Jay used but do offer various grades. I don't profess to be all knowing on this subject but see lots of confusing into from the various suppliers. Many of them never tell you how much heat reduction you can expect.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The company I used was HPC. The guy told me they bought “jet hot”. I did some business a long time ago with jet hot. They offered a dress coating for water cooled engines, but did a less cosmetic coating for me because it was going on a air cooled aircraft engine. When I talked to the guy at HPC, I told him I don’t care about cosmetics. I just want it to hold up.

I found that the turbo is about 250 at idle if I just start it and let it idle for a long time. The 400 was after stopping driving.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I bought one of the blankets from Thermal Zero.

Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting Bag Bumper Fashion accessory

It fit pretty good. I hope it protects the motor mount on that side. It was showing signs of heat in less than 5 thousand miles.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
293 Posts
Another thought, I had double wrapped my 4" down-pipe, using high temp silicone on the pipe then coating both layers of pumice wrap during the application process.
I have not had any corrosion whatsoever, doing it this way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts