Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an excavator that had a V2203DI from a refer unit swapped in after the OEM engine ran away and threw a rod through the side. The original engine was a 3.0L Nissan that was rated for 60HP and 134lbft of torque. The machine runs good enough but I'd like to get it closer to OEM power. I'm thinking a lowish boost setup to run 60ish HP @ 2400RPM. I'd rather spin the hydraulic pump closer to the rated RPM of the Nissan which was 2200RPM. Since this is a machine the engine will be running at a constant RPM with varying load. No on/off throttle. What size turbo would be best for lower RPM boost like I'm looking for? What PSI number should I be shooting for? Would an intercooler be necessary or not?

I've been seeing some industrial turbos RHF4 and RHF3 that mention the V2203 in their specs. Not sure if those are too small or not. The fabrication is not a concern to me, finding a proper turbo is a bit over my head:)

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
The V2203DI or V2203-M as it's known in the Kubota line has been done by several members. Main thing is not to get the turbo too big and keep the boost fairly low. Seems like there is one of the turbo manifolds from another Kubota that is a direct swap.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you do it for "once in awhile" power I think you'll be fine. If you run it that way for 8 hour days I think you'll be disappointed. Engine will give up prematurely.

I have a small excavator. 6 ton machine with about a 4 cyl Isuzu non turbo. I'd guess 50HP, but I don't really know. I don't usually run it balls out. It's 30 years old so hydraulics get a little slower when it gets hot, tracks come off if I get too wild with it, but overall it's a good beater machine and can do a lot of real work all day at 2/3 throttle. Give her all she's got and she'll stack 2 ton ecoblocks 6 feet high or set 1000 pound trusses 26 feet in the air teetering on the front blade with a 15' pin on Jib I made.

If it were mine and the hydraulics were all in top shape I think I'd keep an eye out for a bigger engine. I think the bigger engine would handle instantaneous hydraulic loads better than a small engine with a turbo. If you're digging fast there's a lot of hydraulic load there. It's kind of like the more hydraulic power you have, the more you'll use, but with an excavator you're often doing 2 functions with each hand simultaneously and the load drops to nothing then goes full real quick. Bigger engine will handle that well. small turbo engine may not do as good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of an RHF4 spec's for a 2.2L Cat 3204. My max RPM would 2200 +/- so it my boost would be probably less than 6lbs. I can't stall it out traveling or holding any function on max relief. I'm just trying to keep the RPM more stable when getting into a load. I think 8-10HP would do the trick along with the extra torque it'd build.

The machine is mostly used around my house with an odd job here and there. Probably less that 250hr per year. Machine is tight and only has 3500HR. In the process of adding a thumb right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts