Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I drove an '91 OshKosh van with a 4bt with 61k miles and a T19, a possible donor for my swap. (somebody has dibs on it first) It seemed to run okay but I never heard the turbo spool up, while sitting stationary or driving. Are they normally so quiet that you can't hear them or is the turbo NFG?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
mine's not loud at all either, but I can hear it build boost so i know it works. I think if you turn up the pump you will hear it more since it will build more boost. Mine is nothing compared to my buddy's 24v which has the stock turbo, you can easily hear it even at idle.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The type of air intake and turbine wheel geometry will make a big difference in how much noise the turbo makes. My stock Dodge 12v 6bt is very quiet even while making #25 of boost. My F350 is louder, still stock turbo after installing the aftermarket Tymar intake. Both trucks have 4" exhaust. The Ford was very quiet prior to the intake install with the stock corrugated rubber intake hose.
The amount of noise a turbo makes is not relative to how much it is working. Take a 6.0 PSD for example, the stock VG turbo sounds like a jet plane when the diesel is at idle and is making no boost at that time.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I don't normally hear mine, unless I'm really on it / cruising pretty fast.

You can always pull the "whistle ring" if you want more noise! :dustin:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Any symptoms of a dead turbo then?

I also found a ZF 5 speed from behind a 351 that comes with borg warner transfer case for $350. It's missing the shifter stick and throwout bearing though. I may pick it up tonight.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Any symptoms of a dead turbo then?
Take the rubber boot off of the turbo inlet and wiggle the compressor wheel in and out (none allowed) and side to side (a little is normal)

I also found a ZF 5 speed from behind a 351 that comes with borg warner transfer case for $350.
Wish there were some in Texas :(

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I don't normally hear mine, unless I'm really on it / cruising pretty fast.

You can always pull the "whistle ring" if you want more noise! :dustin:
my turbo doesn't have one... unless i'm missing it. The front is all one piece...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Any symptoms of a dead turbo then?

I also found a ZF 5 speed from behind a 351 that comes with borg warner transfer case for $350. It's missing the shifter stick and throwout bearing though. I may pick it up tonight.
Dead turbo--no boost--lots of black smoke, way down on power

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Well, if you REALLY want to hear it, plumb it so that your intake sucks air from the cabin..

"What's that tube sticking out of the firewall with the filter on it for?"

"Diesel lover's sound system, why do you ask?"

And turbo "surge" would be a lot more impressive..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, if you REALLY want to hear it, plumb it so that your intake sucks air from the cabin..

"What's that tube sticking out of the firewall with the filter on it for?"

"Diesel lover's sound system, why do you ask?"

And turbo "surge" would be a lot more impressive..
LOL!!:grinpimp: Have one on me---:beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts