Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my used H1C turbo in from e-bay. The ad said no shaft play, and it all looks good except a couple of 'minor':eek: issues... 1:The boss that the oil return line screws into is snapped off on one side!!, 2: There is oil seepage in the area were the compressor housing bolts to its backing plate. (I am not sure of the correct nomenclature for these parts)

I planned to swap the middle secion of the turbo assembly (the part where the oil feed and return lines attach) between the two turbos. Is this possible, or would it be easier to weld /drill/tap a new screw hole on the oil return boss? I am not able to budge the bolts holding the exhaust housing to the middle section on my stock turbo.

Also, inspection of the stock turbo reveals considerable oil caking on the entire internal compressor side, and some 'chuncks' missing from the outer radius of the compressor itself, between the vanes.

I would like to install a rebuild kit on the eventual turbo I will be using, due to the fact both turbos have questionable oil deposits.

I will try to furnish pics, but my digi is down for the moment...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Sounds like you have an interesting turbo there: sucks instead of blows?

That's fraud if the e-bay seller lied about the condition. He owes you your money back PLUS ALL SHIPPING COSTS! No way that was a woopsie, didn't notice kind of thing.

I wouldn't hassle with the thing at all, just get a refund. If that won't work then worry about what to do with the miscellaneous parts. E-bay should help you on this one if it's outright fraud and misrepresentation, plus state laws can be in effect in some cases. If it's inter-state fraud that's some REAL SERIOUS stuff! :nuke:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Including shipping both ways! It would be nice to know this clown's handle on E-bay so other potential future buyers can BEWARE! Jerks like that need some real special chiropractic adjustment, of the steel toed boots variety....

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you have oil in the compressor or exhaust housing you have a problem. If you put the turbo in a parts washer and wash away the oil behind the wheels you will find plenty of shaft slop. The oil that leaks cakes up and tightens the shaft. When it is spooled up in service the oil will leak again. It's time for a rebuild.
Missing chunks? Then it is good for parts or you need to find a different wheel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all! I aplogize for the misunderstanding, but the turbo purchased off of E-bay was as advertised, although the broken mounting stud was a dissappointment.

My original turbo was completly caked with coked-up oil, both on the main housing (fresh air side), and through-out the compessor housing (fresh-air side), so I figured it was toast. (or at the least in dire need of a re-build)
Also, when driving the bread van there was alot of black smoke, and I could neither fell the turbo kick in or hear it.

I have disassembled both turbos Thanks Boots4!! Great write-up!!, and have ordered a rebuild kit for one of them. My plan is to use the H1C off of E-bay and replace the broken main body with the good one.

Hopefully when this is all said and done I will have a nice turbo the lets my
4bt breath a little easier.

I am not looking for any significant power gains. I do however want to monitor my engine's vitals. Where is a good spot on the exhaust manifold to drill and tap for a pyro gauge? (top middle just before the turbo?)

Thanks again all!! And I apologize for any increase alka-selzer use;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts