Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have rebuild instructions for the Holsets? If there are none are there any special considerations that anyone is aware of while rebuilding one? It looks like I need to rebuild my HY35W. I was putting in my intercooler and found excessive shaft play when I pulled the intake hose off.
Just an FYI to anyone who is wondering what a turbo may sound like when the bearings are starting to go. I did hear sound like an loud and long owl hooting noise when I punched the throttle. I was not sure at the time what it was from but now I know it was the turbo.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Hey, That's the first time I found anything with a Cummins logo that was free and didn't cost me an arm or leg.:D

Have the turbo apart and have some mild wear on the bearing journal locations but within wear limits. Also have one spot on the intake side compressor housing where the compressor wheel made mild contact. It only made a shiney spot on the edge of the vanes. Contacting G-Pop (my rebuild kit suppier)to see if i need to have the assebly rebalanced.

Anyone else had theirs apart? I have a blueing on the shaft in the oil bathed area and just adjacent to each bronze bearing location but no caked up oil. On the exhaust side of the housing where the dome shaped area is and under the heat, there is some oil cake deposites. These both normal?

I was wondering if there is anything else I can look at to determine the effectiveness of my oil and high temperature engine shutdown programs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts