Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
Making a hybrid turbo brings about a lot of consequences.

Setting one up with a smaller exhaust housing and bigger compressor, biases it towards low rpm boost. It also means you're going to have very high exhaust backpressures at higher rpm.

Hybrid turbos work best with wastegated exhaust housings. Otherwise your exhaust turbine isn't capable of flowing the air that the compressor can deliver.

· Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
In the "Turbo Tips" it talks about swapping turbos (HX35 & HY35) and modding the original H1C. I'm just wondering if there any other combinations.
That's why I asked if an H1C from an early Dodge would work. It has a larger compressor side,which would give more air, with a smaller turbine housing to spool faster. How does the compressors compare on the H1C, HX35, and HY35?
North of the border things are a little more expensive, but I do need to look around.

Such a setup will build boost earlier, but will also create a large exhaust restriction. Strangling your engine at higher revs.

It's all about compromise, pick your best operating point and build the turbo to suit it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.