Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I concerted a 4bta Komatsu Cummins to marine engine and I have a holset hx30w which is not water cool. Is there any replacement for this turbo to convert it to marine turbo.Thanks

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Marine engines didn't use the HX30W and I don't know of any water cooled housing for them. I've sometimes wondered if it is even necessary on the turbo. The heat and exhaust gases are what drives the turbo so you want to keep them in the housing, not cool them. Seems like the standard marine turbo on the 160 HP 4bt was an H1C and the 250 HP used the HX35. Here's a photo of the turbo part # 3525341. It isn't cheap. Around $2500. Ouch. Might want to contact the folks at Seaboard Marine and see if there would be any issue using the HX30W you have. The only issue I might see is there could possibly be more heat build up in the engine compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
It seems that for that price you could spring to have everything done with one of the high end coatings to help keep engine compartment temps under control and still be ahead.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Yes Steve, you are very correct. You could probably coat the turbine housing for under $500 which would make the turbo work even better. There was one company that Jay Leno used that has a coating with something like 6000 deg heat rejection. You could put a blow torch on one side of an 1/8" panel and the other side wasn't even warm to the touch. I don't think that one was under $500 though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts