Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have run across a project truck than fit's the Wife's requirements, a 56 F-100 or at leas everything needed to assemble one.
So we were thinking the 300-6 with a turbo that would make ~10 psi ASAP , would really like to just play to the 6's strong points
and make a nice economical and fun little street rod to run around town in.
I do not have any idea about gas and turbos but figure there are some who do ;)
Thanks

Reactions: Russ McLean

·
Super Moderator
8,804 Posts
Borg Warner have their matchbot software which is great for sizing turbos which don't have to be Borg Warner: Matchbot - BorgWarner

Best way to go is set boost to zero and tweak BSFC (efficiency) and VE (airflow) numbers until you're close to factory power/torque. Then bring in boost and see what the airflow ends up at.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Head bolts are small and spaced out on these engines. There are some rare svo blocks that have bigger head bolts but I doubt they are easy to find. Get head studs if your gonna run boost

·
Registered
105 Posts
That 300 Cube 6 will pull like a bandit in stock form . Mild cam change and it’s all you could ask for , don’t play with the turbo , the head gasket and bolts can’t take the pressure . I think 351 pistons fit as Ford designed them to be there also . I ran one for years , in a 3/4 ton 4x4 , low end was near CAT torque . Why not put a 4BT in the old truck ? I don’t get why play with up grading the gasser , swap it to a diesel and be done

·
Super Moderator
8,804 Posts
Max torque on a non boost petrol engine can be estimated (in metric) by displacement (litres) x compression ratio x VE (fraction) x 10.

So for a 300ci (5 litre) engine with (guessing) 9:1 compression and 0.9 VE (also guessing).
5x9x0.9x10 = 405 Nm.

Which is about the same as a 4BT with 5psi boost at 2000rpm.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Stock EFI Ford 300 motors produced 145-150 hp @ 3,400 and 260-265 ft lb @ 2,000.

I think the F100 with the 300 would be a cool project. Looking forward to seeing what a mild boost will produce.

Roy

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was at a stop to eyeball everything northbound on I-17 just south of the HYW 69 interchange.
I think the EFI 300 is an ideal base for quick/modest boost...we will see ;)
20210101_154930.jpg

Reactions: Russ McLean

·
Registered
129 Posts
The EFI 300 is pretty solid if you just upgrade the Y-pipe and delete emissions. I used one in a later F-100 2wd in the early 2000's and it was faster from a stop to 70 MPH than a brand new V6 Mustang. It had significantly more pep than a stock EFI 302. No top end though. Power was over by 4500 or so. Very nice daily driver power and fuel economy was excellent, 17+ MPG, even with the T-18 and no overdrive.

I could see a turbo 300 being a blast. In addition to head studs I'd be inclined to invest in good forged pistons and rods and use an open source ECM like Megasquirt.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the research I have been doing it seems that the 300 does respond well to turbocharging and looks like the consensus is that 10psi should be a safe level over long term.
I played around with matchbot as well as explored some other builds so have a idea regarding my initial question the 70mm EFR fits to a T so a comp wheel of 52.2/69.9 and a 58mm turbine in a .64ar housing.
yes head studs forged pistons with a big dish and it looks at first glance that the 300's rods are forged, but I need to look better at this to be sure.
For the EFI a standalone unit is an option but the 1996 came with sequential port injection is OBD2 so it's tunable and it is a MAF system so if I could find a '96 I'll likely invest it the gear to tune that.
For the trans it's gonna be a manual with a overdrive but not sure where I'll go just yet.
Here it is safely offloaded at it's new home ;)
20210103_102709.jpg

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
13 Posts
Borg Warner have their matchbot software which is great for sizing turbos which don't have to be Borg Warner: Matchbot - BorgWarner

Best way to go is set boost to zero and tweak BSFC (efficiency) and VE (airflow) numbers until you're close to factory power/torque. Then bring in boost and see what the airflow ends up at.
This looks like fun to try. I should dig out the specs of my turbo (also not a Borg Warner) and see where it lies for efficiency.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts