Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade my h1c that is on my engine. I am running extremly hot exhaust temps (1350 °F) and only 15 psi of boost. I was thinking of upgrading to the 16cm housing and putting a different compressor on my turbo. I checked with HTTurbos.com and they only have the stage III left for the H1C Turbo. Their stage 3 is a 60 cm2 turbine which seems kinda big. Correct me if I am wrong. I have put the aftercooler on my engine hoping that will help. My fuel screw is only about 1 turn up from factory and i think my exhaust temps are a bit high. I would like to do the HY35 upgrade but don't have the firewall space. Please help..

Thanks
http://web.mac.com/my96z28ss

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I would check thoroughly for a leak somewhere in the intake system. Do you have an intercooler that could be the source of a leak? What size is the Turbine Housing and what size exhaust is on the engine? A larger mandrel bend exhaust would be on my list. I have been told that mandrel bend exhaust flows 20% better than a conventional exhaust bend, same size pipe diameter but mandrel vs. crimp type bend.

The H1C compressor wheel choices are 50, 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60mm, if I am not mistaken the 50, 52 use the same compressor housing but the rest use a housing to fit the wheel diameter you chose.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I checked your site, very nice job on the conversion. What exhaust manifold P/N is that? And diameter of the exhaust? Is that a muffler or resonator?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I checked your site, very nice job on the conversion. What exhaust manifold P/N is that? And diameter of the exhaust? Is that a muffler or resonator?
I will let you know on the manifold part number tomorrow. The Exhaust is 3" stainless steel hand made. All the bends are mandrel. The muffler is the Aeroturbine with the resonator built in. http://www.aeroexhaust.com/suv_muffler_3030xl.html
My intake is fine. I did have a leak but that was corrected and I got a bit more psi from the turbo but the exhaust temps are still high. The aftercooler was clean as a whistle when it was installed about 1000 miles ago.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Where is your pyro thermocouple installed? And what size Turbine housing is that?

Boy oh boy do you have some coin and time in that exhaust! ;)

Exhaust manifold 3901635 ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where is your pyro thermocouple installed? And what size Turbine housing is that?

Boy oh boy do you have some coin and time in that exhaust! ;)

Exhaust manifold 3901635 ?
The thermocouple is installed on the upper part of the exhaust manifold. The Turbine housing not sure I have to look.

I have probably around 15 hours in fit and TIG welding on the exhaust in total the pipes and muffler cost around $800. I was thinking of going aluminized but he cost was only $200 cheaper. I figured that the extra $200 was worth the stainless.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not Usefull Information

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you stop coolant flow through that aftercooler, EGT will improve some. I had the same setup and it helped me. Eventually rigged up separate coolant system for the aftercooler with its own heat exchanger in front of the radiator and electic pump to move the coolant. Helped tremendously with the EGT. Have info and pictures posted in performance discussion "4BTA aftercooler mods?". Upgrade your turbo for more air will help a lot.
Carl

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you stop coolant flow through that aftercooler, EGT will improve some. I had the same setup and it helped me. Eventually rigged up separate coolant system for the aftercooler with its own heat exchanger in front of the radiator and electic pump to move the coolant. Helped tremendously with the EGT. Have info and pictures posted in performance discussion "4BTA aftercooler mods?". Upgrade your turbo for more air will help a lot.
Carl
Carl
I will look into that. What do you think is the better options for the turbo upgrade?? will the 4bt handle the 60 mm compressor? what would be the best recommendation for the turbine housing??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not Usefull Information

·
Super Moderator
8,975 Posts
If you stop coolant flow through that aftercooler, EGT will improve some. I had the same setup and it helped me.
But wasn't your aftercooler blocked, preventing the boost from reaching the engine?

A coolant cooled intercooler is only useful above about 12psi boost. But above that they work okay.
I agree that a seperate system and a smaller exhaust housing will help a lot. A bigger exhaust housing will lose you boost and make EGT's climb higher.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're only making 15lbs of boost, anything in the way of "bigger" on the turbo is a mistake unless something other than the turbocharger itself is the issue. A bigger unit or turbine housing will reduce your boost even more.

Low boost will obviously kill your ability to maintain low exhaust gas temperature.

Do you have a stock cam? What is wrong that you are only making 15lbs of boost?

I would run a smaller turbine A/R if I was only producing 15lbs. You're dang sure not running out of turbo, you aren't even spinning the one you've got.
Well tomorrow I will look and see what size turbine I have. So you think that my turbine housing is too big?? The engine is Stock. I put the 3200 spring in the pump and the aftercooler on it. that is all i have done to the engine.. Plus I don´t see the boost until high rpm and high EGT´s maybe my turbo has the 16cm housing on it. I will check tomorrow and let you know..

Mootank I would love to put that turbo on but I just don´t have the room for it. If you look at my site it is very tight around the turbo.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Depends on how you plan to drive. I dont do the high rpm stuff. Went with a 12cm turbine housing, 52mm compressor wheel and housing. Boosts early, 1000rpm, 6-7 psi at 65mph on level ground, 25 psi max. Works real good for regular everyday driving. Had egt problems like yours to start with. My truck weighs 6000 lbs, was running 1100+ at 65, 1350+ WOT. Turbo upgrade, aftercooler restriction(on top of the heat exchanger was completely covered fiber material), separate cooling system for the aftercooler, timing adjustment, AEM air filter. 100* weather now but still only 750-800* at 65mph, 1050* max egt.
Hope this helps, Carl

·
Registered
225 Posts
But wasn't your aftercooler blocked, preventing the boost from reaching the engine?

A coolant cooled intercooler is only useful above about 12psi boost. But above that they work okay.
I agree that a separate system and a smaller exhaust housing will help a lot. A bigger exhaust housing will lose you boost and make EGT's climb higher.
Ahhh yes Dougal, I agree that above 12psi they will start to work but that is only like 1% of normal driving when you have your foot in it. 99% of the time under 12psi is detrimental to egt. Engine coolant in the aftercooler at 180+ is heating up your charge air. They are best utilised on slow moving or stationary equipment that runs at WOT. Yes???
Carl

·
Registered
854 Posts
Engine coolant in the aftercooler at 180+ is heating up your charge air. They are best utilised on slow moving or stationary equipment that runs at WOT. Yes???
Maybe if you ran the coolant through a small radiator (VW Rabbit?) before it flows into the aftercooler it would work better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The H1C compressor wheel choices are 50, 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60mm, if I am not mistaken the 50, 52 use the same compressor housing but the rest use a housing to fit the wheel diameter you chose.
Wow... I can't imagine using an impeller with a 50mm inducer diameter and a 53mm compressor housing inducer bore. If you find that condition, you could get a major compressor efficency gain by swapping to the 52mm impeller.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts