Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Sorry, gotta disagree on the high flow and high dollar injectors. There's all kinds of power to be gotten much more easily and more cheaply, and adding way more fuel requires adding way more air unless you want to melt pistons.

There's already enough potential power in the injection system if you have the VE pump. It was standard on most 4BT's and can be quickly identified with an internet search for 'Bosch VE Pump'.

You can simply turn up the power screw, adjust smoke and idle to correspond, and advance timing on injection pump. That's done by loosening pump mounts and rotating it towards block. Instructions are available online when you're ready. You can also install a 3,200 rpm governor spring, up from 2,500, and do some mods at the VE fuel pin, turning it to get a better injection shot.

Like the guys say, first ya gotta know what pump you have or will be getting. If you know, post model type? If ya don't know then somebody here can tell what you have.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it is a VE pump...check out the Performance Section "Dyno Results". I was able to turn very good results with just VE pump adjustments.

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well..aaa..well..ya.... your right :happyfinger: I take back what I said, turn everything all the way in, drill out your injectors with a 1/16 in drill bit, and locktight everything down cause its gonna get hairy...LOL bounce :rasta: bounce

·
Registered
335 Posts
Your welcome! Glad it helped ya out....

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Well..aaa..well..ya.... your right :happyfinger: I take back what I said, turn everything all the way in, drill out your injectors with a 1/16 in drill bit, and locktight everything down cause its gonna get hairy...LOL bounce :rasta: bounce
*** Pleas note *** Don't drill out your injectors,let a diesel shop do this and they need to be flow tested after your done.The new injectors don't cost that much !

These back yard tips will get you into a lot of trouble and if you don't what your doing than stop .

Guy's that have little time working on diesel engine read this type info and next thing you know they think there some kind of a HP diesel shop ,who is going to repair the damage !!!

That just my .02

CrewCab59

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Amen, Brother!

CrewCab59, what you said about Diesel modifications / tinkering can be applied to ALL things.

My "day job" involves batting cleanup on computers after people "tinker" with them. A lot less potential for bloodshed with computers, though..

Now, while we're on the subject of "turning up the pump".. I found out mine does NOT have a 3200 RPM spring put in it. But it does turn 3200 RPM, give or take..

I got to talk to the mechanic yesterday that had performed the "turn up" on the one I have, and he indicated that you could increase max RPM via some adjustment without replacing springs, etc. And in looking at the information in the Yahoo group files for the VE pump, that does appear to be the case. P 26 of the PDF shows "Adjusting screw for high idle (maximum) speed."

So, the questions are:

1. Why hasn't anyone put up a guide for doing this?

2. (And this may answer #1) What, if any, are the "gotchas" on doing it via this method?

·
Registered
713 Posts
CrewCab59, what you said about Diesel modifications / tinkering can be applied to ALL things.

My "day job" involves batting cleanup on computers after people "tinker" with them. A lot less potential for bloodshed with computers, though..

Now, while we're on the subject of "turning up the pump".. I found out mine does NOT have a 3200 RPM spring put in it. But it does turn 3200 RPM, give or take..

I got to talk to the mechanic yesterday that had performed the "turn up" on the one I have, and he indicated that you could increase max RPM via some adjustment without replacing springs, etc. And in looking at the information in the Yahoo group files for the VE pump, that does appear to be the case. P 26 of the PDF shows "Adjusting screw for high idle (maximum) speed."

So, the questions are:

1. Why hasn't anyone put up a guide for doing this?

2. (And this may answer #1) What, if any, are the "gotchas" on doing it via this method?
The high idle screw will limit throttle travel. I screw mine way out. It can't make it rev higher than the governor spring will let it.

Replacing the spring is a good mod no doubt. Throttle response is improved quite a bit along with the higher fueling threshold.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good info machman. My engine doesnt have "the spring" but would turn 2960 rpm since the day it came into my possession.This is kind of wasted on me since I am one of the "pee-paw" drivers that is happy "piddle-farting" around at less than 2300 rpm most of the time.
Carl

1979 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4
4 bta with modified H1C
Separate cooling system for JWAC
Cold air intake
ZF S5-42 5 speed
Borg Warner 1356 x-case
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
3.54 gears
255/85R16 tires (33.5x10.5)
Hydroboost steering and brakes