Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Well..aaa..well..ya.... your right :happyfinger: I take back what I said, turn everything all the way in, drill out your injectors with a 1/16 in drill bit, and locktight everything down cause its gonna get hairy...LOL bounce :rasta: bounce
*** Pleas note *** Don't drill out your injectors,let a diesel shop do this and they need to be flow tested after your done.The new injectors don't cost that much !

These back yard tips will get you into a lot of trouble and if you don't what your doing than stop .

Guy's that have little time working on diesel engine read this type info and next thing you know they think there some kind of a HP diesel shop ,who is going to repair the damage !!!

That just my .02

CrewCab59

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
CrewCab59, what you said about Diesel modifications / tinkering can be applied to ALL things.

My "day job" involves batting cleanup on computers after people "tinker" with them. A lot less potential for bloodshed with computers, though..

Now, while we're on the subject of "turning up the pump".. I found out mine does NOT have a 3200 RPM spring put in it. But it does turn 3200 RPM, give or take..

I got to talk to the mechanic yesterday that had performed the "turn up" on the one I have, and he indicated that you could increase max RPM via some adjustment without replacing springs, etc. And in looking at the information in the Yahoo group files for the VE pump, that does appear to be the case. P 26 of the PDF shows "Adjusting screw for high idle (maximum) speed."

So, the questions are:

1. Why hasn't anyone put up a guide for doing this?

2. (And this may answer #1) What, if any, are the "gotchas" on doing it via this method?

The pump Ve can be worked on alot ,the 3200 spring will work for those that don't know how to rework the pump , for the $18 or so the spring works well.

If your engine is turning that kind of rpm than that pump has had work !

Also how are you reading your rpm's? under a load ?

I have no problems with adjusting the pump .

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I don't have a tach on it.. Yet.. Don't intend to put one on until I swap into something other than the bread truck. If you've got one of the handheld ones I can bring it by sometime and check it that way.

Figured engine RPM from road speed. Using a vehicle with a KNOWN ACCURATE (I've checked it via radar, other vehicle, and various milemarkers) speedometer, I've clocked the truck at 75MPH sustained on flat ground. 8x19.5 tires, TH400 trans, 4.10 Rear. Stuff that through one of the handy calculators, comes out to right at 3100RPM. Add about 100 for TC slip.. Maybe more.

Mechanic said it was easy to do.

Now, as to whether or not this method acutally is easier.. Dunno. What's easy for one person is an unachieved lifetime goal for another. And I can see it REALLY messing with things if you've got anything measuring throttle position (TPS or cable for trans control is first thought) as it's going to change where WOT is. Maybe that's why folks go the spring route?? (And another point to the Compushift / other 3rd party controllers - can set WOT w/o breaking out the PROM burner..)
Yes ,
I have a photo tech ,you can come by anytime !

CrewCab59

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.