Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Looking for some help on getting my TV Cable hooked up on my 47RH. I have been looking for pictures on how Dodge did in the Ram but I have had no Luck finding one. I have a Ve Pumped 4bt with a 47RH and the cable is hooked up on the tranny side but there isnt much room on the VE pump to get to the "pull side" of the lever.

HELP!

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I don't have a pic of my setup, I'll see if I can take one though. But I'm using the stock 93 Dodge 6BT throttle linkage assembly. It allowed me to hook up the tv cable, the cruise cable and the throttle cable to the injection pump. It pretty much bolted right onto the 4bt with a slight mod to one bracket.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a pic of my setup, I'll see if I can take one though. But I'm using the stock 93 Dodge 6BT throttle linkage assembly. It allowed me to hook up the tv cable, the cruise cable and the throttle cable to the injection pump. It pretty much bolted right onto the 4bt with a slight mod to one bracket.

Thats awesome news, Thanks, Id love a picture

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Here's some pics. They aren't the greatest, but the middle cable is my tv cable. It's the stock one that came off the 93 Cummins. The outside cable is the throttle cable and the inside one is the cruise control cable. Hope the pics help.

Stephen

[3:28:21 PM] Khaos Kustoms:

[3:28:22 PM] Khaos Kustoms:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now im more confused

I feel like an Idiot, I cant figure out how that linkage works???? My TV cable has a different end on it and it is really messing up my thinking. I thought you pulled the cable as throttle was advanced is that right or no?

damn im confused

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
when you step on the throttle, it pulls the linkage backwards, the linkage pushes on the tv cable, pushing the cable moves the plunger in the trany. You want the cable adjusted so that at WOT the cable is at max travel. You need to have the springs pulling the cable forward to keep the cable tight. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you step on the throttle, it pulls the linkage backwards, the linkage pushes on the tv cable, pushing the cable moves the plunger in the trany. You want the cable adjusted so that at WOT the cable is at max travel. You need to have the springs pulling the cable forward to keep the cable tight. Does this make sense?
Here is the Link to the auction of the linkage, he says its for a manual and he sent me more pics. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140357947979&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The explanation makes sense to me but, My cable on the tranny pulls from the back of the tranny, pulling the Plunger towards the rear of the transmission, So up top I have to pull my cable to advance the plunger. I think I got some piecemeal stuff. Does your cable push the plunger from the front backwards?

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
I feel like an Idiot, I cant figure out how that linkage works???? My TV cable has a different end on it and it is really messing up my thinking. I thought you pulled the cable as throttle was advanced is that right or no?

damn im confused
the tv cable on the `93 and earlier transmissions use a PUSH cable. the `94&95 47rh transmissions use a PULL cable. the factory discontinued the push cables. the pull cables work a lot smoother. and can be converted to the earlier transmissions. your 47rh has a cable mount bracket behind the trans shift lever and the cable snaps onto the little ball stud on the tv lever, right ?? when I mounted my `94 47rh on my `92 12v, I welded a lever to the `92 throttle lever. it is on a straight line from the stock tv push pin, thru the pivot point of the throttle lever..it points down and to the rear from the pivot point. I made it the same length as the distance from the pivot pin to the stock tv mount pin. that gives it the same ratio as the stock push cable.I made the hole slotted so I could fine tune the amount the cable is pulled out at full throttle. then weld a mount tab farther back for the pull cable mount. ( the part with the square snap mount) now when the throttle is opened, the tv cable will be pulled towards the front of the engine. adjust the tv cable to be just tight when the throttle is open all the way. I`ll stick a couple pictures to help confuse you alittle more. LOL!! hope they help you get your transmission working. Mine works terrific.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Here is the Link to the auction of the linkage, he says its for a manual and he sent me more pics. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140357947979&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The explanation makes sense to me but, My cable on the tranny pulls from the back of the tranny, pulling the Plunger towards the rear of the transmission, So up top I have to pull my cable to advance the plunger. I think I got some piecemeal stuff. Does your cable push the plunger from the front backwards?
that linkage looks like one off a non-intercooled truck. My buddy's got the same linkage on his 77 ford, I'll see if I can get a pic of it so you can see how it mounts to the 6BT. I think that one will probably take lot's of fabbing to get it to bolt on. My stock dakota had the same pull type tv cable. I just retrofited all the 93 brackets and cable to my 47RH. So far it works good for me.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Hey Guys I appreciate the help,

OK that clears up some of the questions about pushing and pulling, I already have a throttle cable hooked up, so Im considering trying to mount the TV on the back side of the Injection Pump to get to the Pull side of the lever and making it work that way. But I do like the finished look of the 93' era bracket, and I could tack on a lower bellcrank no sweat. I also considered mounting the cable to the timing gear case and mounting the sheath of the cable to the throttle lever that would work right??

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Hey Guys I appreciate the help,

OK that clears up some of the questions about pushing and pulling, I already have a throttle cable hooked up, so Im considering trying to mount the TV on the back side of the Injection Pump to get to the Pull side of the lever and making it work that way. But I do like the finished look of the 93' era bracket, and I could tack on a lower bellcrank no sweat. I also considered mounting the cable to the timing gear case and mounting the sheath of the cable to the throttle lever that would work right??
Yup, it would work as long as the mount for the sheath can pivot on the throttle lever to not put the cable in a bind as the throttle is opened. also, the throttle travel must be exactly the same as the tv cable travel :beer::beer:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next Idea

Still Tinkering with Ideas,

Does anyone Know if you can change the tranny from a Pull from the Back TV cable to a pull from the front TV cable?

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts