Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the tread about the J10. By the way it looked great- very inspiring. But I have heard of these twin set ups and I don't understand why there are done. What are the advantages. how do you controle the second one. Has anyone done anything with the extra output? Like a PTO set up.

Thanks
Josh in PA
CJ8 in process
In the biodiesel business

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The main reason to use the dual t-case is for gear reduction ,the reduction work only when it's in 4wd .Also by using the dual case you don't have to change the axle gears ,unlike you would by using a single case.

The other reason if your wanting to do a front dig ,means you unlock the rear drive set the brakes and use the front wheel to pull you around.The would be used in a offroad only.

It also depends on what case your plan on using as well ,Mr J10 will speak up .

·
Registered
329 Posts
dual cases

Well there are two kinds of dual case setups or "doublers". Married and divorced. Married, means just that, two cases bolted together. Diveorced means they are mounted inline seperated with a stub or jack shaft between them.

You can also buy multispeed transfer cases meaning they have several gear ratios to choose from.

I have the dana 300 to NP205. Essentially this gives me a chep multispeed transfer case. Double kits cost around 600 plus the extra case. I twin sticked the 300 but only hooked up the high low stick as the drop is wrong side and left the front engagement out. If this were run to the front axle, you can engage front wheel drive and do front digs.

I use the front case (D300 as a gear splitter). It has a low ratio of 2.61 to 1. I can kick it in for 2LO, pull stumps, gear down for whatever may be needed. Then when I engage the 205, I have 4hi (1:1), 205 in lo (1.96:1), 205 hi, d300 low (2.61:1), d300 lo, 205 lo (5.12:1). There are four ration in 4wd I have.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine works in 2 wheel drive and 4

You do not use it often but for driving through a wash or over a snowslide the slow speed works great -ditto for something steep.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here is a pic of my setup that is going into an FJ60 Landcruiser. Maybe the visual will help. From top to bottom: Auto trans to 203 GRB (gear reduction box) to toyota splitcase.

The 203 transfer case is a popular choice for using as a doubler because the front portion of that transfer case (the portion you see in the middle of the pic) houses the reduction part meaning High and Low gears for that transfer case. This portion can be removed from the rest of the case and by using an adapter which usually consists of a mounting plate, which has the brass vent on my pic, and some kind of new output shaft is mated to other transfer cases.

You use this chunk, the GRB part

and get rid of this stuff minus that large gear you see, that is part of the front GRB

I decided to run a doubler because the cost wasn't much more than just buying an adapter for that auto tranny to my toyota splitcase. Since I plan to wheel my rig, more gear options are a good thing although depending on the type of terrain not always necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
warn overdrive

I had a CJ5 once that had twin sticks. it split each of the gears again. I think it was made by Warn- I sold the Jeep before I realy got in to doing the work myself. Is that similar to what we are talking about?
So the Twin sticks that youguys are talking about is one for each transfer case. I do like the Idea of having drive shafts the same length. and it looks trick. So if I do something like this I wouldn't need to change the gearing in my axles?

Josh
The scrambler project is using a chevy blazer frame I think the axles are 4:10
I am not sure what the transfer case is. its a 89 and I read someplace that it was chain driven. I am not sure if I should use that or not. any advice?
I am going to widen a CJ 8 body for on it and lengthen it 3.5"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CJ gears

This is a good Idea. In my CJ now my gearing in the axles is realy high. Not sure of the actual ratio its a stock 83 CJ8. but I broke something in the rear trying to Break in my new motor( SBC 350 before I had Diesel in my blood) so I thought I would just get a new stronger axle and at that time change my gears. but If I could add a 2nd transfer case to my Dana 300 . What should I chose for my second transfer case? who makes the adapter?
do you hook up any drive shafts to the front one? I din't quite get that Front wheel only mode. I doubt I wold ever use that.
Josh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts