Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg I've been on this form under my friends name a few times and got hooked. Now I'm building a twin set and thought I would post some pictures. Going to see if the original H1C on first with 12cm housing and an HX 40 can work with as little fuel as possible.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Excellent, glad to see someone has taken the plunge. keep us infomed. When do you expect to fit the engine or are you just using it to mock up the twins?
I think the HX40 is about the right size for a primary on a 4bt as it moves about 2/3 the air that a HT3B does and that is a common primary for twins on a 6bt. There are a couple of turbo experts on the board who might offer some advice. The H1C might be a little large though the 12cm housing will help. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. The oil filter looks a little close to the primary inlet have you enough clearance for a 90' bend?. What are you doing for wastegates?. It will definitely work, how well we will have to wait and see. Are you going to T the turbo oil returns or weld a return into the sump?

Gaza

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I forgot to say it is a 3.9 cummins because thats all I thing of when I thing of an engine. All the rest are just things with pistons that go around. And yes the top one will be wastegated and the HX40 can also if the boost should get out of hand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speaking of room, the engine is going in a 94 suburban. It came to me for the convertion on 32s with a 6 in. lift. After seeing the room under the oil pan I thought it would be the one to try this on. Im dropping the engine down some to give room. And I'll still have some more room to play.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Looks nice and tidy. What's the intention?

Wish I had the same amount of room to play with. Mine is still a virtual build.
Dougal;
How do you do a virtual build like that. What is the software ? Is it like building block, just drag individual pieces to where you want them ? Can you scale the size for fitment ? I like it.

Thanks
Paul

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts
Dougal;
How do you do a virtual build like that. What is the software ? Is it like building block, just drag individual pieces to where you want them ? Can you scale the size for fitment ? I like it.

Thanks
Paul
That software is Solidworks. It's 3D CAD used heavily in manufacturing and engineering.
Every piece you see in that photo has been measured and drawn up by me. It's time consuming but I think it's worth it for planning such a tight install.
The individual parts are drawn up and mated into assemblies. Parts are locked into place using reference planes and geometric points (holes etc).

I'm drawing up the whole envelope of the engine and vehicle as needed. You can see the engine is fairly "blocky" right now and requires a lot more work.

Yes I can provide vews from any angle, including section views. Let me know what you want. Being a work in progress it'll improve over time.

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts
How do you do cad like that. I've always been better with hands on the steel.
I like the hands on too, but this is great for planning things out and in complex jobs can save a whole lot of time.
Of course for many one-off jobs, it's easier just to rip in and get it done.:grinpimp:

How much boost are you after in your setup?
I'm going to start at 30psi and see how that goes. I'm after a nice fat torque curve instead of silly power.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much boost are you after in your setup?
I'm going to start at 30psi and see how that goes. I'm after a nice fat torque curve instead of silly power.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing with these engine at a max of 28psi boost for a long time. I'm tired of not being able to go higher. A friend of mine does 6BT pulling trucks and in my opinion they only come alive at 35 to 40PSI. So my thought is if this origianal turbo can make high 20s and I give it a scavenger to gather soom more air for it I could have soom fun. If the boost should get out of hand I'll try to wastegate both. I know there are guys that can give all the theory on twins. But most theory is based on someones successes with bigger engines with much more fuel. My goel is to get more air to the engine with the fuel we normaly use. If I get high 30s I'll be glad but mid 40s would be nice. My friend gets in a 6Bt and adds a 1/4 turn on the head bolts then runs mid 50s with no problems

·
Registered
808 Posts
That software is Solidworks. It's 3D CAD used heavily in manufacturing and engineering.
Every piece you see in that photo has been measured and drawn up by me. It's time consuming but I think it's worth it for planning such a tight install.
The individual parts are drawn up and mated into assemblies. Parts are locked into place using reference planes and geometric points (holes etc).

I'm drawing up the whole envelope of the engine and vehicle as needed. You can see the engine is fairly "blocky" right now and requires a lot more work.

Yes I can provide vews from any angle, including section views. Let me know what you want. Being a work in progress it'll improve over time.
Dougal; Thanks for the explanation. I can see how time consuming it could be to do an entire project. I dont want/need anything, just curious.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the engine running on the floor on saterday. Found out I have a leak in my top turbo piston ring. Set the timing up on the floor, man thats better than in the truck. Took it all apart and started the paint job. Posting some more pictures soon.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
That is killer, twin turbos...

·
Banned
427 Posts
is this correct ?????? max boost and little as possible fuel = burnned pistons....... max boost needs alot of fuel. you,ll see
bob

1 - 20 of 66 Posts