Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are twoo 4bt caummins for sale, govliquidatiaon in columbuss ohio,, sale 3225 lot 26 anda 27,,, look like lo very low time,, have fun,,,,, buck

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Buck,

Could you post a link or give a website to where you found them.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
98 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
some of them have the mechanical tach drive on the front cover

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
theyy areeee lift trauckkkk engisnes,,,, and u are riaaght,, they are naoarmal aspirated,,, doses any u guys have one tose tach drive unitss for sale,,thanksss buck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, ill be dipped in sh*t......
Thats DSCC, I go there about once every 2 weeks or so. If anybody wins one, I could probably help with the leg work and storage for a short time untill pickup can be aranged.

·
Administrator
4,174 Posts
The one CPL tag looks like 76 HP, all normally aspirated and probably all removed from service due to a malfunction. I would rate the conditions anywhere from scrap to core.

·
Registered
854 Posts
For some of them....they used the same pics over and over??? Makes you wonder what you are actually bidding on!

Lot: 28....this one they just pried the front cover off hastily to yank the injection pump.

I am sure they have all seen quite a few days outside.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been drooling over them for the past week and a half, and have been addicted to the entire govliquidation website for about three months now. I am pretty sure i am going to buy at least one of them, but i want to convert it to handle a turbo. So first i have to figure out what all that entails, as i am new to the 4b/4bt. I live in Cincinnati so i will be able to drive up and get them myself I just need to find a place to put them once i get back home.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They were probably all removed from service due to a malfunction. I would rate the conditions anywhere from scrap to core.

I agree, when I was in the Army, we never removed a good engine as part of any service interval end use. So I too would caution all on them as well. Of course if one was to get them for the $50.00 starting price it would be worth the risk, scrap metal price is more that that I would gatter.

Just so you all know I have seen this same posting on many other 4x4 sites. :dustin:

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
bummer they are in Ohio!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I want to convert it to handle a turbo.
The CAV injection pumps don't have an aneroid to add more fuel under boost.
Adding a turbo would help some, but don't expect huge power gains.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The CAV injection pumps don't have an aneroid to add more fuel under boost.
Adding a turbo would help some, but don't expect huge power gains.
How about telling the pump to drop a ton of fuel, and hoping the turbo catches up eventualy?
nothing like leaving a smoke trail.

·
Registered
854 Posts
How about telling the pump to drop a ton of fuel, and hoping the turbo catches up eventually?
nothing like leaving a smoke trail.
That's fine as long as:
1) The pump is easy to turn up without damaging anything
2) Cops don't care about the smoke.... A LOT do, nowadays

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was wondering if a guy was to pick one of these up for next to nothing, could a turbo be added? and what is this cav pump you talk about? could it be pulled off and a p-pump be put on in its place? I am going to school right now to be a john deere technician and have a diesel engines class this semester and could go through it down at school, I could also order parts through the school and get them for pretty cheap. I am wanting to mate a 4bt to an nv4500 and put it in a old scout, is the bellhousing different or would one of these work. I am kinda new to 4bt's so I'm not that familiar with em yet. Thanks Guys

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I was wondering if a guy was to pick one of these up for next to nothing, could a turbo be added? and what is this cav pump you talk about? could it be pulled off and a p-pump be put on in its place? I am going to school right now to be a john deere technician and have a diesel engines class this semester and could go through it down at school, I could also order parts through the school and get them for pretty cheap. I am wanting to mate a 4bt to an nv4500 and put it in a old scout, is the bellhousing different or would one of these work. I am kinda new to 4bt's so I'm not that familiar with em yet. Thanks Guys
The CAV pumps were, to my knowledge, only used on stationary equipment (generators, pumps) and tend to have "constant speed" governors. Using that in an automotive application isn't impossible, but the throttle feel will be "strange".

To do it "right" on converting 4B to 4BT, you'd need the following as a minimum:

Pistons, piston cooler jets, timing housing, injection pump, injection lines, injectors, intake assy, exhaust manifold, and the turbo.

I'm not sure, but I think the cams are different, too.

Unless you score a 4BT for real cheap with block / head damage and use the parts off it to do the conversion, cost of the conversion will be more than the cost of a good running 4BT with a VE.

If you want to swap to P7100.. Those go at an even higher premium.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts