Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't know if you will ever want to use the grid heater system but it does draw down your battery and dim your headlights while it's drawing about 120 amps (I measured this). I drive along in the winter for the first 3-5 minutes looking like I'm flashing my lights at on-coming vehicles. If you live in a cold weather climate and run the glow grid you may think about two batteries but only if the dimming headlights bother you. The pre-glow period on a grid heater will not keep your starter from turning over the engine and firing. I would suggest going with a high capacity battery if only one is used with the glow grid heaters.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If you use one battery you'll need 850 cc or more,the grid heaters will suck a battery down quick but it will depend on where you live and if you use them.

I use two Decka's 1150 CC in my truck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
battery

If you use one battery you'll need 850 cc or more,the grid heaters will suck a battery down quick but it will depend on where you live and if you use them.

I use two Decka's 1150 CC in my truck.
I would get two batteries one as a main battery and one to run assesories like a stereo with your engine off. when you are ready to start your vehicle the main battery is still on full power.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would get two batteries one as a main battery and one to run assesories like a stereo with your engine off. when you are ready to start your vehicle the main battery is still on full power.
Using two likes this sort of defeats the purpose of having extra amps during cold cranking. This is why most larger diesels with glow plugs or grid heaters use two in parallel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts