Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for a crazy question, but here goes (I did do a quick search and found nothing). Has anybody put two transmissions in series, with the second one turned backwards, for extra gearing. Could you even run an automatic in front of a 4 speed and have four ranges of gears. I know you likely would never need that many but 4 speeds are plentiful and I already have one. I know you probably couldn't shift on the go but wondered if it might be a cheap way for more gears?
Tim
The short answer is yes. My Dad did it on an old '46 Dodge pickup with a three speed back in the 60's. He attached a 4-speed tranny back-to-back. Not sure how they were actually connected, but when the two transmissions were placed in reverse, it would go forward...slowwwwww. If either transmission was put in reverse by itself and the other in a forward gear, it would go backwards. 1st and 1st was also really slow. Just sharing...It was done!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Spicer(Brownie) transmissions are rated on input torque on engine, 300 or 400 lbs. on input torque. 5xxx and 6xxx series work well on our size trucks. 7xxx and larger are way too big for our use.

Ed

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Any effort on using a conventional transmissions backwards will well fail, figure out the trans. ratio one needs, get it, use proper trans ratios, move along.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nope..

What he has is a fore-runner to the lockup torque converter known as a "Switch-Pitch" or "Variable Vane". It could switch between two different torque conversion ratios..

Haven't seen one of those in years..

Super Turbine 300 - Wikipedia
Some Allison industrial transmissions had variable pitch converters . One example was used in a self loading scraper, where it lowered the output to ground speed and diverted engine power to the hydraulics to run the elevator. Another was a single speed for a forklift to provide different wheel speeds .

41 - 44 of 44 Posts