Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my engines came with round can power steering pumps and a remote tank for the PS Fluid. My other engines have the 'Canned Ham'
type. The canned ham type are suspossed to flow 3.5 gpm. Are the Round with remote tank the same specs just different packageing ?

There are no numbers on any of the round can pumps to search for specs

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I'm thinking GM and Dodge used the canned ham, and Ford used the round reservoirs? About all I've got to contribute, Paul...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The Dodge had the remote reservoir on models also, sorry I can't follow up with details. I'll dig thru my pile of useless files, I have some pwr steering info in there somewheres...

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
From memory, the pump units are usually the same and the reservoirs were interchangeable for the same model & application. The remote reservoirs were used in some of the higher GVW applications for easier accessibility. Most replacement pumps are available with or without reservoirs.
Ref: www.rockauto.com

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys. Looks like the remote reservoir has a larger capaicty than the canned ham version. Sdstripper if you come up with numbers on each style, please post them.

Of interest, all my round PS Pumps/remote reservoirs came on 4BTAs with Ford BH and Transmissions whatever thats worth.

Paul

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Of interest, all my round PS Pumps/remote reservoirs came on 4BTAs with Ford BH and Transmissions whatever thats worth.

Paul
I have one of each style on two identical 89 Chevy P-30's so I guess there once again is no pattern to which type is on each model.

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does anyone have one of the round styles that they want to sell? My van didn't come with power steering, and I want to add it to my truck.
Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts