Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the (EFI Fuel Tank Options) thread, it occurred to me that some of the posters were using the original gasoline tank(s) and/or the original gasoline plumbing and pumps. Can you do that without problem? I'm currently working on an engine and tranny, and it would be nice if I could save a few bucks re-using the old fuel system instead of replacing it. :tongue:

Pantherman

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
From what I've been told, you need to replace all the rubber fuel lines with diesel rated lines. Also steel tanks that are galvanized, biodiesel will eat the galvanization off.

I do not know if the diesel rated lines will handle WVO/B100. Some please chime in.

Thank you,

·
Registered
425 Posts
My stepvan had SAE 30R7 lines on it. Those will do for regular diesel but are an older standard. SAE 30R9 (it's better) is replacing those at the stores and will handle biodiesel at B20-B50 no problem. My reading indicates that SAE30R9 will also handle B100. When you looking for fuel line check the printed numbers on the side for these numbers, your old fuel line should have an SAE number and if it doesn't I'd replace it. I have a list of compatible hose material and metals @ work so I can post that on Monday if wanted. Some part store clerks won't know anything so just ask for fuel line and check for the numbers yourself. I just checked with napa last week and they have fuel line (fuel injection hose) that is SAE 30R9 that I was going to use but they didn't have enough of it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I was under the impression that diesel lines were made of metal rather than rubber. I was also under the assumption that this was the standard for diesel vehicles.

Pantherman

·
Registered
279 Posts
I run CAT D11's everday, and all fuel lines aren't made of steel. Can't even believe this thread started, with mine only a day ago.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I used my gasoline setup replumbed with diesel rubber. Only problem is that the filler neck is small and fueling can take a little while. Soon to be fixed though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used my gasoline setup replumbed with diesel rubber. Only problem is that the filler neck is small and fueling can take a little while. Soon to be fixed though.

So just to keep this straight (for my own sake) you even re-used the submersible pump from the gasoline setup Tndonor?

Pantherman

·
Registered
45 Posts
I remove the pump and use small piece of hose to make a small loop around the bottom of the holder that the pump sat on and just wire tie it fast. Dont use the gas soction screens they are to fine and will plug up.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
So just to keep this straight (for my own sake) you even re-used the submersible pump from the gasoline setup Tndonor?

Pantherman
Tndonor ,
J10 was carb ,then went to 6.2 diesel and I Did the Cummins Conversion.

Tanks with fuel pump ,just remove the insides ( just a straight tube ) or just run lines into the tank close to the bottom .

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts