Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody I just joined the site a little while ago and I have my first question. I have a GM NV4500 with the higher 1st gear ratio. Since I already have the trans I want to use it behind the 6bt that is getting installed in my 67 Kaiser M715. Has anyone used a GM 4500? I know I will need to get clutch linkage worked out, but what kind of adapter will I need to use to mate the trans with the engine.

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
I have read of it being done by others. Some have had problems with the splines getting torn off of the smaller output shaft or in the coupler to the transfer case.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I use Gm Nv4500 96 & up in all my conversions and I just have dodge input installed when they are built.

If you have a 1st gen GM NV4500 the bellhousing bolt patteren doesn't match up to the Cummins bellhousing ,if you are going P-30 adapter than it will work .

Scott

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,680 Posts
Since you have a 6B from a Dodge? Why not keep it all Dodge, why reinvent the wheel. With it being Dodge you have proven reliability, parts availability. The hydraulic clutch set up has been addressed here, so I don't see any problems.
Yes I'm biased toward Dodge.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
GM NV4500's are all the lighter duty version than the cummins/V10 transmission. The input shaft is bigger in the NV4500HD, but so is the mainshaft and 5th gear. The 92-95 GM trannies can be redrilled to bolt up to later bellhousings, but you cannot swap a dodge or any other input in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
tachometers

how are you guys hooking up your tachometers...i just got a whole set up of mack guages from a junk yard but figured i'd ask for some advice before i get all crazy w/ them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts