Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious what options i have for using my original AC compressor on my 86 wagon swap.

Can I change the Compressor's vbelt pulley for a serpentine?

Is there a waterpump pulley that has a couple of vbelt grooves in aaddion to the serpentine grooves?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some of the Ford variants have a v belt driven vacuum pump. Can't look at mine at the moment but I think it is drive off the fan hub. The vac pump is mounted on the drivers side of the motor. There maybe other options. I'm sure someone such as crewcab59 will let you know.

·
Vendor
2,651 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
There is an overlay vee belt pulley that fits the fan hub over the serpentine pulley. It normally runs the vacuum pump or whatever else. It is 7" in dia and you can't use the oil fill on the timing case with it as the belt will interfer with it. You go to an oil fill in the valve cover. The A/C compressor mounts in the same position as the vacuum pump shown in one of the pics above, and Cummins has mounting brackets for a few different compresssors.

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Wasn't it DriversWanted that installed a 6BT harmonic damper on his 4BT, which [damper] came with a vee belt pulley on it? May kill 2 birds with one stone, to tame some of the vibrations too.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK guys bout that time.

My solution has evolved to building a bracket to sit on top of my water inlet, rotate the alternator up and build a new lower bracket to attach to the top of the AC compressor. I might need to add a pulley inbetween the two add some pulley coverage, But I think I can pull it off. I think a sanden Compressor is in order but I havent ruled out using the York like the wagon had originally. My questions are:
The york is big and strong but Can it be mounted in any orientation and can I put a serpentine pulley on it?
Will a sanden provide the same performance as the york? (wagons arent known for good AC anyway)
Can a Sanden Be oriented any direction?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Vintage air has a good A/C compressor comparison in the last pages of there online catalog. I think it has info on the York/Techumsch and the Sandens both

·
Registered
13 Posts
The York can be mounted through 180 degrees of rotation. Basically you can have the inlet and outlet hoses pointing to the left, straight up, or to the right as you view the pulley. CCI still makes these compressors new (although they are REALLY expensive)... They have lots of good info with regards to mounting options, oil levels, service, etc on their website... As far as the serpentine pulley goes, you CAN get a serpentine pulley that mouts to the York compressor. I managed to get an 8-rib pulley that mounts to the York compressor. The part number for the one I used is Airsource 5029. The only catch is that you will also need a second idler and a longer belt. I haven't completely finished my install yet, but I do have the compressor mounted. Good luck!

Daniel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts