Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

V10 tdi

16K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Zinz4x4 
#1 ·
Anyone have any insight on the V10 TDI. Just kinda thinking if I ran across one. 350hp would be nice in stock form.

#13 ·
Here in Germany everybody that works on VW will direct you to an Touareg with gas engine, because they run with way less problems.
all that problems are due to that "clean diesel" deal... the egr throwing soot into the intake manifold and the egr valve clogging often, and also the injection setup using secondary injections to the dpf regen instead of a single dedicaterd injector right into the dpf...

#11 ·
They're cool, I'll say that, and torquey monsters as you'd suspect, and everyone I've talked to who drove one or knew someone that had one said they run like a scolded cat, but I'm a bit scared of working on one. I looked into stealing one from a wrecked touareg for my old Volvo as I thought that could be a killer swap, but when I heard they have what I believe is called a "stressed block" (someone correct me if I'm wrong), meaning you have to get the torque sequence on the heads in EXACTLY the right sequence (both order & ft/lbs, and re-torque) or else you'll warp the block, I backed away. Wish I could find the post where that was at. On a VW forum somewhere with some guy rebuilding his touareg I believe.

Still could possibly be fun as a tinker-toy though.

Reactions: Zinz4x4
#14 ·
That is correct, they are a stressed block, the head bolts go all the way down to the main girdle. However, you really shouldn't ever need to crack that far into one. I've been inside one that someone ran WVO in and they are built like a tank! The gear train in them is massive, no accessory belts either. Crank is forged piece of art, Rods are forged and the cap is set at an angle like 5.9's are, pistons are hollow behind the ring lands and oil cooled, and the bedplate is huge as well.

If you could get a motor and ecu's for the right price, I wouldn't hesitate to run one at all. The ECU's (master and slave) could be tuned by Malone or TD Tuning for standalone operation easily. That would let you get rid of all the crap (egr, 4 cats, pcv) that causes issues in the first place. The only internal issues those engines have is the cams have the wrong profile ground on them from the factory. Send the cams to Colt Cams before they eat themselves and Geoff can regrind and parkerize them.

With a turbo/tune upgrade they'll do 400hp/750lbft easily, toss in some race nozzles and 500hp/1000lbft isn't out of reach. By far the most power potential/lightest weight of any motor out there....just not quite so cheap. But they are super smooth and sound amazing with straight pipes.

One day I plan on finding one and doing something silly with it when the price is right. Thinking tube buggy.....

#15 ·
[QUOTE = "DetroitYoungster, post: 216180, membro: 19680"]
Sono fantastici, lo dirò, e mostri dinamici come sospetteresti, e tutti quelli con cui ho parlato che ne hanno guidati uno o hanno conosciuto qualcuno che ne avevano uno hanno detto che corrono come un gatto rimproverato, ma sono un po ' paura di lavorarci sopra. Ho cercato di rubarne uno da un touareg distrutto per la mia vecchia Volvo perché pensavo che potesse essere uno scambio killer, ma quando ho sentito che hanno quello che credo sia chiamato un "blocco stressato" (qualcuno mi corregge se sbaglio), il che significa che devi ottenere la sequenza di coppia sulle teste ESATTAMENTE nella sequenza corretta (sia l'ordine e piedi / libbre, sia la ri-coppia) altrimenti deformerai il blocco, ho indietreggiato. Vorrei poter trovare il post dove si trovava. Su un forum VW da qualche parte con un tizio che ricostruisce il suo touareg, credo.

Tuttavia, potrebbe essere divertente come un giocattolo tinker.
[/CITAZIONE]
Vorrei montare un vw5.0 TDI sotto un prototipo tubolare.
Non so come fare con la centralina, l'elettronica e tutti gli errori fatti con impianto elettrico semplificato.
Conoscete un bravo tecnico di centraline?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.