Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a vacuum pump from a 6BT to put on my 4BT. It cam ewith a braided stainless steel oil feeder line. This must conect to the block at some ppoint that has oil pressure. There are a few small threaded plus in the side of the block that I am assume could be it. Can anyone confirm or have a link to a picture of the drivers side of a 6BT with a vacuum installed?

Thanks
Christian

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It is an oil feed line and there are a couple oil journal taps on the 6BT's for different accessories such as pwr steering etc. I wish I could tell you if the 4BT's have the same taps, likely do but I don't know 100% for sure...

The very first "twin pod" vacuum pumps/pwr steering pump did not have an oil feed, the later versions do.

Here is a good reference for the later versions, http://www.fixinrams.com/index.html

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pull the plug, connect the fitting

Yes,
I run a vacuum pump on my 4BT, pull the oil rifle plug, install a fitting and connect the braided line. beer

Wayne

·
Registered
696 Posts
I think there is a pdf file on 4bt yahoo that shows in detail the block and ports etc. Have you thought about a hydroboost coversion?. I am considering it for my 6bt conversion. The bits would be easy to get for you being in the US.

Gaza

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gaza, I will eventually convert to a compresser and hydroboost. At this point I have enough things to do to just get the thing running that I don't need to start another project. Can you run a PS pump off/behind the grear driven compressor?

CB

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mine has a ZF pump driven off the compressor, worried that it may be a bit too much for the box, I know you are using a scout box. I am thinking about a pressure relief valve so I don't blow the seals.
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24
this is a thread on this board which shows a pic, similar to mine.

Gaza

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Gaza, I will eventually convert to a compresser and hydroboost. At this point I have enough things to do to just get the thing running that I don't need to start another project. Can you run a PS pump off/behind the grear driven compressor?

CB

That's how it was done on the rams. like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Cummins-96-Vacuum-Pump-Power-Steering-Assembly_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33626QQhashZitem320076502706QQihZ011QQitemZ320076502706QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Diesel Durango, that is the set up I currently have, a vacuum pump and a PS pump. I was looking for the set up that Gaza linked to with a compressor and a PS pump like the one in this photo.

Gaza, any idea what year those compressors can on? How about the ZF pump? It was a 5.9 correct?

Cheers
Christian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Diesel Durango, that is the set up I currently have, a vacuum pump and a PS pump. I was looking for the set up that Gaza linked to with a compressor and a PS pump like the one in this photo.

Gaza, any idea what year those compressors can on? How about the ZF pump? It was a 5.9 correct?

Cheers
Christian

sorry about that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts