Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help. I'm putting a 4BT in my 36 Ford truck on a mid 70's 3/4 ton Chevy 4 wheel drive chassis. I thought I had the answer with 5.9 vaccuum pump but I can't find an oil outlet on the driver's side of my motor. Any suggestions? There's a little freeze plug insert just above the pan, but it's not threaded--looks like it goes into the pan. There are two small (Take 11mm wrench) plugs along the block, but they look like they go into water jacket--and above there's a 3/8" or so plug up by the air intake box for the turbo. In short, I'm not finding a pressurized oil outlet--a guy I know says some blocks had them on the driver's side and some didn't? What to do? I could go with an electric vaccuum pump, but like the idea of mechanical better. Appreciate anyone's experience, ideas, help. Thanks, Dan Smith, Tabor, SD

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Those two 11mm are oil feed sources, double check me I'm no expert...But they are on my 6BT...

Hey Dan! I see your from SD too! Love to see your 4BT project sometime.

If your going with a 12 volt electric here's info for a OEM GM unit, AC-Delco # 215-119 was/is discontinued but replacement manufacturer Standard Motor Products had them last I checked. Standard p/n VCP-103 was $140.68 These were on all sorts of GM cars and trucks, if there's still a salvage down around there you might find one for cheap. Yankton still have a couple places?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

We're by Yankton--come by sometime. It's my 2nd diesel project--the first one is a 2.2 Isuzu in a 35 Ford pickup rat rod. Very cool. There are two small plugs on the 4 bt below the injection pump. I couldn't find any oil in there. If that's what you're talking about maybe they are good live oil line potentials. Maybe somebody else knows.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What he said.

Bosch VE rotory distributor pump (fuel injection pump), and easily tweakable but as said no where near the HP potential of the inline pumps. The VE pump mods are the easier of the two IMO. There are several "free horsepower tweaks" you can do and a few cheap horsepower upgrades too. 3200rpm governor spring, under $20 and the original Old Smoky fuel pin is back in production now too, $124 plus shipping.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just put a dodge power steering,vac pump combo on my 4bt. The plug for oil feed are on the block pretty much covered by the power steering,vac unit. My engine had little female allen head plugs with a oring behind them these plugs are a few inches above the pan rail and pretty much right behinh or covered up by the power steering pump. Dont worry pipe thread screws right into the plug hole.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm an old hot rodder, & been messing with gas motors for a long time. Started dieseling a couple years back, so all this is new to me--in short, THANK YOU to everybody who helped by adding to this thread. I'm old enough at this to not be one bit embarassed to ask questions. Thanks, Dan Smith

·
Registered
71 Posts
What is the "Old Smokey" fuel pin?

What he said.

Bosch VE rotory distributor pump (fuel injection pump), and easily tweakable but as said no where near the HP potential of the inline pumps. The VE pump mods are the easier of the two IMO. There are several "free horsepower tweaks" you can do and a few cheap horsepower upgrades too. 3200rpm governor spring, under $20 and the original Old Smoky fuel pin is back in production now too, $124 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The Old Smokey Fuel Pin is the offset, tapered fuel pin inside the AFC housing under the diaphram. Old Smoky was the originator of the higher HP version, later copied by BD and I believe one or two other companies. They have a more aggressive taper and increase fueling. Old Smoky is a Turbo Diesel Register member and a Diesel Truck Resource member as well, IIRC at one time he had a 600 + HP VE pumped 1st Gen.

On a side note, the factory fuel pin is rarely set to the deepest point. You may see some results by "tuning" this in, rotating the fuel pin about 90*. Here's a decent link that shows the 3200rpm spring install, the fuel pin will be in this along with some other internal components of the VE. Den is a member of the DTR also.

http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/Governor_Spring/

I started a new thread with a partial schematic of the AFC, fuel pin is #8 & 9

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911

1 - 12 of 12 Posts