Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to keep the vacuum powered brake stock on my F-150 Ranger. One of the engines I bought had a belt-driven Clayton Dewandre (wet) vacuum pump but I cannot find any information on mounting or rebuilding one. That leaves me two options: #1: Use a belt-driven dry styled pump (Self-contained unit, which is kind of crappy) or #2: Use a gear-driven pump like the 6BT's utilized.

The only problem is that I cannot find any information that describes the differences between the models; whether that it pertains to the truck itself or engine. If it is solely vehicle-related (Dodge 2500) then which style are parts available for at a decent price?

I am also looking for a power steering pump part number that will fit on the correct vacuum pump that only has 1 return. Thanks

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
OK, I'll see if I can help. First off, your current vacuum pump carries a Cummins part # 3911430 which was built by Wabco. I know of no other applications other than Cummins and it has been discontinued for quite some time. I know of no rebuild kits for that unit and the last new ones I saw were about 5 years ago. Uptime Truck Parts shows it in their catalog on page 120 but I wouldn't bet on there being any available and would bet they are very pricey. Cummins also used the diaphragm type pump commonly found on the Ford V8 diesels in the '80's and 90's. The mounting bracket for that creature is as rare as hen's teeth. I've only seen 2 4bt's using that unit which was driven by a V belt like yours. There was also the same diaphragm pump driven by the 8 groove belt used on 2003-2007 6bt's for exhaust brakes. That setup isn't very cheap either. Now for the vacuum/power steering combo units. The first couple years of the Dodge Cummins had a twin pack of the diaphragm pumps. Those you don't want. They were known for failure. The oil fed vacuum pump that are more common came in 2 styles. The pumps came in 3 sections and 2 sections. Both seem to be good quality but I believe the 2 section is more common. Seems like that one was used from '94-02. Now on the power steering pumps that came on the '94-02 units had 2 return lines since the trucks had hydroboost brakes. I believe you'd find the power steering pump for the '91.5-93 will have only 1 return since those trucks still had vacuum brakes.Since those are Saginaw pumps you could swap the reservoir cans if needed. I think you can fit either power steering pump to either of the vacuum pump. To verify that you might contact Gould Gear and Electric here in NC. They make the rebuild kits for those vacuum pump and are very good to work with. They also work with the diaphragm 8 groove pump I mentioned. If you install one of those combo units you will need the block fitting, oil line, pump support brace, and plug the drain used by your current pump. Those pumps drain into the gear housing. Here's a good video from Gould about those pumps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts