Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you have to adjust the valves on the 4bt? Do you have to do it with the engine cold or warm? Any good Ideas on turning the engine to the proper POS for each valve? On my old mercedes I used to put a wrench on the alternator pully and the belt would pull it over. I don't think this is going to work with the size of the 4bt.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Use the search, Luke!

And also hit the FAQ...

http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057

There's a thing called a "Barring tool" that is used to rotate the crank for doing this kind of work. Ebay, Cummins, others sell it.

Not sure on the recommended interval for adjustment.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,680 Posts
How often do you have to adjust the valves on the 4bt? Do you have to do it with the engine cold or warm? Any good Ideas on turning the engine to the proper POS for each valve? On my old mercedes I used to put a wrench on the alternator pully and the belt would pull it over. I don't think this is going to work with the size of the 4bt.
Valve adjustment is once every 40,000 miles. I=.010", E=.020"
Valve adjustment can be done warm or cold. Cummins does not mention engine temp for valve adjustment.
Barring tool Cummins part number 3824591

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
What they said. I was very surprised how easily my engine turned over with a wrench on the alternator nut, not what I expected.

·
Registered
145 Posts
timing pin

In that link above...

It mentions an engine timing pin on the front cover. What and how is this used. There is a bolt on my front cover with a wierd spacer. Maybe you pull this spacer off and rotate the engine until the bolt fits into some hole behind the cover at TDC?

·
Registered
854 Posts
It mentions an engine timing pin on the front cover.
It is a plastic "plunger" and is right behind the injector pump on the backside of the cover. It should be spring loaded, so that when you push it is it pops out on its own.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,680 Posts
It is a plastic "plunger" and is right behind the injector pump on the backside of the cover. It should be spring loaded, so that when you push it is it pops out on its own.
Sorry but the plunger is not spring loaded. It will stay in and can easily be torn off if you forget to pull it out and rotate the engine.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sorry but the plunger is not spring loaded. It will stay in and can easily be torn off if you forget to pull it out and rotate the engine.
OK, thanks for clarifying that!!! :emb:

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Be forewarned that if you keep excessive pressure on the timing pin while turning too fast you will shear the plastic timing pin.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Also, in view of the previous posts, quite a few engines already have it sheared off before you purchase. So if you're having trouble getting pin to work it can be that it's already broken off!

·
Super Moderator
8,864 Posts
I just put my truck in top gear (5th) and push it backwards/forewards. One more reason to drive a manual.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts