Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 F250 4x4, 78 d44, 3.55, np205, 200hp 4bt nv4500 in progress
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy new year to you all! Snowing and 3* here in Lincoln NE.

Had two questions about VE plumbing. Since the skid designated pump was changed to VE onroad, old supply and return fuel lines are different. This bosch VE is 3357445.

What is the part # for the return line coming off the red arrow? (I think it's 3905701, confusion is that quickserve shows banjo fitting as horizontal, ebay pictures show vertical)

The green line? Can't find this anywhere.

Plan is to run the 4327029 KSB sensor in the blue arrow.

Any way to look up associated parts with Bosch 3357445 or VE on road pumps the same?

Since I don't have an ESN, I use example VE engine serial numbers to look up parts. However, the hunt and peck method of finding parts gets expensive -- so thank you for your help!

Sam

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
OK. See if I can help. Your green line is the air fuel control plumbing. Here is a diagram of the parts.
Font Circle Technology Diagram Slope

Part numbers are as follows:
#1 3282437 (old number was 3910004)
#2 3905391 grommet
#3 3918188 washer (2 required)
#4 3910265 elbow
#5 3924724 banjo bolt

Your are correct that the fuel drain line from the injection pump should be part 3905701 and the mount is horizontal. Here's the one I see on ebay and it looks to fit that description. Genuine Cummins 3905701 Tube Fuel Drain Brand New Diesel Truck Part | eBay Below is a photo that bears that out. The KSB sending unit is normally mounted in the top intake plate which is part 3921500 shown in photo below. It is an air sensor. Not sure if your planned location is the correct threads Your injection pump has the solenoid KSB. Serial number 44945967 is for a CPL 1260 which is 105 HP with VE pump and solenoid KSB. Injection pump is part is 3913443 but would use all the same hookups as yours. Uses air sensor 4327029 and wiring harness 3921741

Attachments

·
Registered
‘97 F-250 4bt/ M5R2
28 Posts
Mr Packard, for the AFC line, I took the advice of another member here and simply went to the truck parts store and got a few fittings and some 3/16” air line. Works like a charm and cost less than Ten Dollars, even in NY. The afc uses a 1/16” npt while the cylinder head is 1/8” npt.
Seems like you are too far along for this advice, but Dieseltuff.com sells the entire kit to convert to the piston pump and it includes the fuel lines.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both!

Char1355, Always impressed reading your replies to guys' threads that have complete and detailed information -- I realize it takes some time to look up information and post a reply to help others.

Have the Dieseltuff intake plate but fittings holes are smaller 3/8” threading, not enough material around the hole to bore/tap for the ksb threading, so I'll see if KSB sensor fits in the head first. While I'm at it, need to research boost sensor mount location...

Thanks for the serial to look up parts. Helps to know that the part will fit without having it in front of a person to compare.

Levis, appreciate your pic and tip. Will look up the AFC line post and fire up the flaring tool thats sitting on the shelf after last summers brake job. Your advice on piston pump taken but things are in place for VE setup.

·
Registered
‘97 F-250 4bt/ M5R2
28 Posts
Char; the threads on the afc hat are so incredibly close to 1/16 pipe that such a fitting goes in there with a bit of tape just like it was made for it. Also, that banjo bolt is the easiest part of a Cummins engine to break. Packard, I thought you already had the piston pump installed, I guess I should have read back a bit further. The kit from DieselTuff uses a piston pump that provides the correct pressure for a VE pump; that is the one I used

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Char, appreciate the threading spec. I probably should get a test bolt in the VE top hat afc in to confirm.

Levis, I’m also using Dieseltuff’s hvlp ve pump setup, it included pump to fuel filter fittings only. When you wrote piston pump I thought you were referring to a P-pump inj pump, not the piston fuel pump, my error. Do your fuel supply run straight to the tank without an additional fuel pump?

My only complaint is when they've removed part numbers from what you bought from them (to keep others from copying their source), or not having part industry numbers on their website, and they use their own numbering system to prevent you from going elsewhere. I realize sellers get taken advantage of when a customer looks up the correct part number using their website and then buys it elsewhere for cheaper. However, in the case of having the part number scratched off, I might feel vulnerable being a long away from home on a breakdown and not knowing which part would be needed to replace.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
In truth, many of the ID plates went missing when the engines were being used. If a front gear housing got replaced, the ID often stayed on the junk one. Rebuilding companies also removed them and sometimes replaced it with their own label. The intake plate I gave you the part number for has 1/2" NPT holes for the sensors. Not sure why Dieseltuff's intake plate only has that small hole unless that was meant to be for a boost sensor location. The plug on the head that you referenced is 1/2 NPT so that should work OK so long as the wiring is the right length.

·
Registered
‘97 F-250 4bt/ M5R2
28 Posts
Sam, I am sorry for adding confusion to your thread. Now that I realize what lines you are needing, I will say that I was able to use the original return line by bending it to align with the New VE pump. And yes, my fuel pickup is just dunked into the tank, bent 90 degrees with slots cut in the bottom of it. I am surprised that your fuel supply line did not work with the new pump because Mine did. Wasn’t your old pump a VE with no AFC?

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Levis, the OEM pump for a CPL 0760 would have been a VE without the AFC or KSB. Very typical of industrial engines.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Levis, No worries. Previous was the VE/no afc. Thanks for the fuel pickup information. Was poking around and found fuel supply 3 piece line/seals (3918640) $40 👏 from reliableindustries.com, excited the complete line was less than the cost of one of the ends! Had luck finding the ridiculously costing cummins fuel line grommets at messicks.com under case part numbers (thanks char1355 for the case tip). Fun to 'stick it to the man' & find deals hidden here and there. Found a new cummins belt tensioner $40 shipped.(y)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Levis, did you feel confident your AFC line has enough inside diameter to not restrict air movement? 1/8” fittings seem to have maybe 1/16” ID, don’t know if that is adequate.

5.9L guys drill out the afc head to put a larger fitting.
Thanks.
Sam

·
Registered
‘97 F-250 4bt/ M5R2
28 Posts
Sam, I must say I am most impressed with your attention to detail. I really never considered if the afc diaphragm would be restricted by the small fittings, nor have I heard about the mod. It does seem like there is plenty of meat on the afc lid to bore it out some. Maybe worth trying when I get around to installing a fuel pin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts