Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m out of town and my VE pump is leaking. Starts great runs fine. Besides being messy is there any reason to not drive it back home? I have a 38 gallon tank.

I have a new pump at home and Cummins wants 3k to overnight one to me. No thanks.

opinions
Thanks

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Diesel is less flammable than gasoline and more flammable than a vanilla milkshake...

How bad is the leak? Just a drop every few seconds or a steady stream....

How many miles do you have to drive?

YOUR call on the probability that the leak will be a fire hazard...

I drove my leaky pump for a few months - parked the truck when the drip rate passed one-drip-per-second. It was 35 years old - the rebuilder said that the seals were dried out (Crispy) and some internal parts had exceeded their wear limits. Truck runs better now.

Russ

Reactions: Scro and eggman918

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than drip less than a gush.

Phoenix to San Antonio.

I have AAA so hopefully it will work out. 🤠

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Scro,

That is just under 1,000 miles. Staying together and not catching fire is a "calculated" risk.

What is your timeline - that will determine your options.

1. Have your new pump shipped to you and install it before leaving - NOT realistic in a motel parking lot...

2. Both scout4bta and I had good luck whit VE pump rebuilds from Perkins Diesel in Mesa, AZ. Had mine rebuilt last month - extremely happy with the work) Again, assumes you have a place to do the work.

NOTE: My 76 year old body did NOT appreciate the contortions required to remove and replace the VE pump (had to move the AC compressor and the vacuum/power steering pump for access to the VE pump - poor design on my part...).

3. Stick it on a UHaul auto transport trailer and tow it back behind a UHaul 15 foot truck. I failed a U-joint in Flagstaff (F150 below) on a late Friday afternoon. Did not want to search for reliable shop that was open on Saturday, and rented a UHaul truck and trailer.

NOTE: Not all vehicles are "legal" on a UHaul trailer, my 1975 IH Scout II was not, one of the reasons I switched to the F150.

Russ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steak at Durants, I’m feeling confident.

If I didn’t have a $1500 pump from nascar mark I would consider the Perkins rebuild.

Having it transported is still an option. 🤔

As long as I have a chance I’m (maybe) going for it.

Thank you for responding, I’ll let you know how it turns out.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
485 Posts
So what your saying is I'm selling new pumps WAY too cheap. lol
Seriously, you will be fine driving with a diesel leak. I've known guys that have broken injector lines right by exhaust manifold & have driven long ways at hwy speed.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
>"As long as I have a chance I’m (maybe) going for it. >
>"Seriously, you will be fine driving with a diesel leak. I've known guys that have broken injector lines right by exhaust manifold & have driven long ways at hwy speed."
My reality changes as I get older. I participated in a 460 mile UHaul move (15 Foot truck) last week. Drove 70 miles, picked up Junior and let him drive the rest of the trip. 5 Years ago, I would have soloed the trip.

In September, I took my 1962 Volvo on it's first out-of-state trip to the Lead Ain't Dead custom car show in Dewey, OK. It had a few road side repairs, a couple of assists from other show folks, but no tows or paying a mechanic.

"Never seen gasoline run off the driveshaft before..."

Backup plan involved using the cell phone to call AAA to tow me to the nearest large UHaul store.

So what your saying is I'm selling new pumps WAY too cheap. lol

Mark - Seriously considered your new Bosch VE pump - If it had a fuel shut off lever in the picture, I would be driving it now.

Scro - Wave as you pass the Love's Truckstop (Exit 302 in Benson, AZ) - I am 38 miles south - as measured by an AAA tow truck (a purchase of a 1966 IH pickup truck in Phoenix did not make it all the way home (the discovery of "why it was for sale"...)).

Russ

Reactions: Scro

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had a ve pump leak on my old vw. Out of the vent tube on the head. Put a hose on it to a catch bottle, when it was full back in the tank, lol. See if u can catch it, keep the mess down. I did 1000s of one on that leaky pump

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has a pretty good leak at idle so I decided to ship the new pump AZ. I was more concerned with air getting into the pump.

Some long lonely stretches in New Mexico and west Texas. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
> "Some long lonely stretches in New Mexico and west Texas. Thanks for everyones help. "
Good call.

Also cold windy and wet. I got lucky, the little tool kit had the correct Metric Allen wrench needed to tighten the adapter sleeve on the wiper shaft. The "fates" were with me, the problem did not appear until mid-afternoon, the winds were only cold, not bitter cold and the rain had tapered off to a light mist. A little unnerving to have tractor-trailer trucks zipping by, at least the stiff wind blew the road spray, from the wheels, away from me.

As they say in ihe U. S. Air Force, any landing that you can walk away from is a GOOD landing...

Good luck on your trip.

Russ

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
wow never seen one of those tools factory made . I made one but mine was just slightly helpful.
That looks mych better than mine home made.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I LIKED THAT TOOL SO MUCH. I JUST WENT & ORDERED IT.
COST LIKE $20.37 THANKS .
I recently bought one to hang on the wall - sure wish I had it last month.

Russ

·
Registered
76 Posts
If it's coming from the rear of the pump, it's most likely the o-ring that seals off the cover plate on the KSB piston. I've been down this road before. ;) If that is the problem, then the pump has to be removed to fix it.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,671 Posts
It has a pretty good leak at idle so I decided to ship the new pump AZ. I was more concerned with air getting into the pump.

Some long lonely stretches in New Mexico and west Texas. Thanks for everyones help.
Beautifully Looking FJ60?
You'll have to provide us a link to your build when you have time.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
RUSS Funny you said you were going to hang yours on the wall.
That's exactly what I told my self last night . I think I'll hang it on the wall over one of my 2 tool Boxes.
In my shop at home I've got 7 roll around tool boxes .
But I've got 2 just alike . Left one is Std tools & Right on is Metric . OTHERS have special stuff.
... BUT I SAID TO MYSELF I BELIEVE I'LL PUT IT ON THE WALL ABOVE THOSE 2 TOOL BOXES ...
SO I'll know where it is at all times.
......... I'm afraid it'll be one of those speciality tools I'll forget I've got before I have to use it again.
....... & If I'm Lucky maybe I'll never have to do a 3 INJECTION PUMP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Made it home with no major problems.

Idle is very high and very low boost, usually 2-4 pounds. I was right at home with the semi’s on long grades. At least I got good mileage and egt’s were 600-800.

No build thread yet but this is the paint thread on Ih8mud.

I’ll start a new thread for all of my 4bt questions.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts