Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a mechanical fuel shut off that would replace the electrical 12 volt solenoid valve in the pump? I'm aware we could just delete the solenoid and install a aftermarket valve ahead of the pump, but I am looking for a factory Bosch mechanical solution. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,618 Posts
Easy, use the mechanical shutdown lever near the bottom left side of the pump.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
You can hook it up to an in-cab choke pull cable. For factory type linkage you might try a Case or Kubota tractor dealer as some used mechanical shutoff. Choke cable is every bit as good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I was under the impression the mechanical shutdown on the pump was primarily used for emergency shut down and not for continued use. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Runaway Shut Down

Paul,
What does that cost?

CrewCab59
The last Roda Deaco Valve cost just about $250 USD. Since Roda Deaco is a Canadian Company, I had the valve shipped to a friend in Montreal. Then it appeared in the US. Some money was saved.

Some commercial, and most homemade emergency shutdowns use a butterfly type valve. Its possible to get air leaks around the butterfly shaft pivot points. Also the butterfly is in the air stream causing possible non linear flow. Roda Deaco uses a Cleaver style shut off. When the cable pull is pulled, the Cleaver snaps shut stopping all air flow. In the open position its totally out of the way of air flow. Its also a great theft deterrent when parking. Trip the shutdown and no one is going to start the Diesel.

While its unlikely and improbable to have a runaway on a Cummins, it is possible. A runaway requires IMMEDIATE !! action to shut the engine down. I personally dont want to take time to open the hood and then try to shut down the air or shoot a C02 fire extinguisher into the air intake. I dont want to be anywhere near the open engine compartment. Also, if you are able to immediately shut down a runaway, you can repair the cause without major engine damage. For me, the peace of mind, knowing one pull on the Roda Deaco T Pull will shut her down is worth the money. Its like an insurance policy, you hope you never need it.

On the dash, the 3 'T Pulls' are; Mechanical Injector Shutdown. Locking throttle and centered is the Roda Deaco Pull. The Engine picture shows the Roda Deaco Valve, with cable pull. I use what Roda Deaco calls the Mini Valve. Its designed for 4B series, and MUST be mounted at the 'engine' intake.

Paul

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I always thought those air shut offs were located between the air filter and the turbo.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Unless they're located as Paul specifies the shutdown can collapse the flexible hoses and suck them right into the turbo at full boost or below. Not good.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Jim; Right on. Thats what the instructuions specify, and for those reasons. Per the manual, in my own words, if a hose gets sucked in and broken, the runaway will continue. It must be mounted right at the engine intake with nothing but the 'very short' connection hose.

This is a picture of the M37 I am now building. First T Pull is Locking Throttle, 2nd is Injector Mechanical Shutdown and 3rd is the Roda Deaco Valve, emergency shutdown.

Paul

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
And if it's making boost at a runaway RPM without a wastegate, where then does the boost vent? What could be sucked in if it is fastened directly to the turbo inlet? Not arguing here but I am really curious. Technically the intake of a diesel actually starts at the air filter. It seems to me that being post turbo would put a lot more stress on the seals. The website is not really clear other than locating it near the intake manifold. I'm sure Paul's location is correct but it's just not logical to longevity in my opinion.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Bob;
If the runaway valve were mounted on the turbo inlet, and activated during a runaway, in effect your blocking the air at the inlet of the turbo. I would imagine the concern would be hose connections between the turbo to turbo pipe and turbo pipe to manifold might fail in a collaspe or be sucked off and the engine continue. I am sure testing and engineering was done on location. However your question would best be answered by the manufactuer, as it differs from the specified mounting location.

Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts
And I just thought that if the runaway were caused by a blown turbo oil seal, the valve mounted post turbo will totally block any further oil from being injested.

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Seems to me with Paul's and the mfgr's spec'd location it would do little more than possibly blow off a turbo hose, if that. The other seals are tough enough, being designed to take full boost and more. The engine would quit making boost almost immediately, same as if you were to shut off the fuel solenoid and it actually did shut off from that.

I hear what you're saying, but remember that several mfgrs spec these as original equip on their OTR big rigs. From that it must work. Regardless, the system is intended to prevent catastrophic damage and not necessarily to prevent all damage of any kind.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
You can also gut the 12v solenoid and rig it for a cable push/pull shut down, cuts off the fuel... I'll look for a link and post later.

·
Registered
808 Posts
You can also gut the 12v solenoid and rig it for a cable push/pull shut down, cuts off the fuel... I'll look for a link and post later.
Yes, that is the reason I run a T Handle Push/Pull to the Dash. If in some remote place you have a fuel valve solenoid fail you dont have a crisis. Remove the solenoid and gut it. Screw the gutless valve back in the VE Pump. The engine always has fuel and will start/run, then use the VE Pump mechanical shut down to stop the engine.

Paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts