Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
New to 4bts and new to diesels. I am looking at a 95 Tahoe that has a 4bt swap and the VE pump is probably going to need replacement. It sounds like the top of the pump was cracked, welded and there was porosity in the weld causing issues still. My question is where should I look for a replacement VE pump, and is there a certain one I should be looking for? The motor itself has a colt cam, pin mod, 3200 spring, 50hp sticks, and an HX35 turbo if that helps.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Try Badger Diesel in WI. I know they were selling new pumps for an extremely reasonable price at one point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there different types of VE pumps that I should be on the lookout for or is it just a standardized part. Like I said still super new to diesel and 4bts so just want to make sure I am buying that right one.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well you want one with AFC and a 12v solenoid. Otherwise you'll have the choice of KSB or non-KSB equipped. I think the guys at Badger won't steer you wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the difference between KSB or non-KSB? If I tell them what the motor is in and what parts the motor has will they know which to recommend Im guessing?

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
If the porosity is not too bad Loctite 290 can cure that. Would need to be very well cleaned then let the Loctitie "wick" in.
Extra insurance is a layer of Devcon over the top of the weld.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
The KSB is primarily a smog control device that advances pump timing when cold. Helps the engine with the warm up period. After it warms up, the KSB shuts off and has not other use. Often see used engines with it disconnected. There were 2 styles of the KSB, wax motor and solenoid. The wax motor type has just a 12 volt connection, usually from the pump solenoid and the solenoid type has a separate temp switch located either in the intake manifold plate or on the side of the head. See photos below. One thing you mentioned on your engine is you have the HX35W turbo. That is a poor choice on a 4bt. It is just too big and will have a very narrow power band, mostly on top. The best turbos are usually one of the HX30W family. You could use the 46mm Super HX30W. It used the same 4" inlet as the HX35W and the same outlet elbow. It would boost much quicker than an HX35W because it has a smaller 6cc turbine housing vs a 12cc plus a smaller compressor wheel. That's the largest single turbo that works well on a 4bt. Also, not sure what 50 hp sticks mean in injectors. That's sort of advertising hype that means very little . Stock injectors on the VE pump engines were 4x.012 tips. Those can get you to near 250 HP. Next step up would be 5x.012 tips. Usually use those when pushing past the 250 mark with twin turbos.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The KSB is primarily a smog control device that advances pump timing when cold. Helps the engine with the warm up period. After it warms up, the KSB shuts off and has not other use. Often see used engines with it disconnected. There were 2 styles of the KSB, wax motor and solenoid. The wax motor type has just a 12 volt connection, usually from the pump solenoid and the solenoid type has a separate temp switch located either in the intake manifold plate or on the side of the head. See photos below. One thing you mentioned on your engine is you have the HX35W turbo. That is a poor choice on a 4bt. It is just too big and will have a very narrow power band, mostly on top. The best turbos are usually one of the HX30W family. You could use the 46mm Super HX30W. It used the same 4" inlet as the HX35W and the same outlet elbow. It would boost much quicker than an HX35W because it has a smaller 6cc turbine housing vs a 12cc plus a smaller compressor wheel. That's the largest single turbo that works well on a 4bt. Also, not sure what 50 hp sticks mean in injectors. That's sort of advertising hype that means very little . Stock injectors on the VE pump engines were 4x.012 tips. Those can get you to near 250 HP. Next step up would be 5x.012 tips. Usually use those when pushing past the 250 mark with twin turbos.
Thanks for the reply, I am not sure what the 50hp sticks means that's just what the previous owner told me. As far as the hX35 I am aware that it is too big and looking to swap to a super hx30w down the line, just need to figure out where to buy one and how hard of a swap it would be pulling the 35 off and using the 30. As I said this is my first Diesel so still learning as I go lol.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
The Super HX30W has Cummins part numbers 2835278, 4051167, or 4051210. It is an import only item so most will be coming from China but they are genuine Holset products. Here's one listing on ebay that includes all the connecting parts for $592.20 + $120.00 shipping. NEW GENUINE HOLSET HX30W 13024082 4051167 CUMMINS 4BTA 3.9L UPGRADE Turbocharger | eBay As far as the fit compared to your HX35W, the air intake is the same 4" size, the compressor elbow is the same, the exhaust manifold mount is the same T3, and the exhaust outlet flange is the same. Not sure if there is any difference in overall length. The one main item that is different is the oil line feed which requires a different hose fitting than the HX35W. Prices vary and you just have check those out. If you search on the part 2835278 you will find lots of listings. Members on the forum who have provided these are Alcaid who is in Norway and Nascarmark who is in Canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts