Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst going over my 4bt I noticed the front seal was pushing out the front of the pump on the lil VE. I do run the low pressure piston pump for my setup. So out to the machine shop to make a retainer. I had a scrap VE pump on the shelf that I did a test drill into to see how deep I could put the retainer screws without drilling somewhere there shouldn't be a hole. I think I could comfortably drill a half inch, but I need to verify that.. Other than the screw holes and clearance for the screws, everything else is original. Turned down a piece of mild steel for the actual retaine. 4 10-24x5/8screws were probably overkill, but might as well while it's set up to drill. It turned out well and I should be assembling the pump tomorrow. Here's some pics.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
779 Posts
With a seal retainer like that you could probably run the high pressure lift pump with no problems.
What sort of "high pressure" are you referring to? Case pressure directly effects timing(on ve pumps). Running too much case pressure is not a great idea. Plus one might just find the next weakest spot to leak. 10-12 is pretty safe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Want to make another retainer to sell ?
Yeah, I can do that. Do you plan on drilling and tapping your own pump body? I might even have a spare piece of scrap Stainless I can turn it out on. Do you want it exactly like mine or any alterations that you would prefer? 2 screw, 3 screw, 4 screw?

Let me know if your serious, set your own price what you think its worth.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
IIRC depending on shaft surface speed ~ 10 psi is all lip seals are designed to handle for any real useful service life, I want to say that is for Buna Vitron might hold up to more at least the shafts are hardened so the lip wont eat into it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the record I wasn't looking to up the pressure of any part of the system, it's more of a just in case feature.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
For the record I wasn't looking to up the pressure of any part of the system, it's more of a just in case feature.

I have had one come out before so I totally understand "ounce of prevention" ;)
The one that failed on me was what looked at least postmortem to be a lesser quality seal, when I replaced it I used a National that had a stainless case so I scuffed it real good to bare metal and then installed it with red locktite as it was a infield repair.

·
Registered
74 Posts
nice work! for someone with the know-how and machines, this is def the way to go.

for the rest of us...i have yet to have a seal push out if installed with appropriate loktite. my local pump shop does this and i have two pumps that have held up to 18-20 psi for years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts