Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a CPL 858 Cummins in my Tahoe. It starts and runs perfectly but has developed a fair sized fuel leak very recently.
I have not been able to determine the precise location of the leak but it seems to be coming from a place that I would not expect a leak. It only leaks while running.
The pump is still in place but the picture below shows the approximate location of the leak. I can see pretty well in the area and it does not appear to be the fuel supply line but to be coming from the locknutted insert that the arrow is pointing at.

Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Any ideas?
Thank you

jim b
1997 2Dr Tahoe 4BT NV4500 Dodge intercooler
Swap Completed Winter of 2016.
`17' P30 W 4bt, nv4500 and np205 xfer case.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
If it's the lock nut for the governor then its just a O ring behind the nut, it should be a standard metric O ring and can be replaced without opening the pump but you will likely need to loosen the pump from the timing housing to get the nut off be careful that you do not change the position of the shaft as that is critical.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,
Thank you very much! I ordered the special socket needed to remove the line above the governor locknut.
I sure hope that is the problem!
Best regards,
Jim B

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve,
Thank you very much! I ordered the special socket needed to remove the line above the governor locknut.
Best regards,
Jim B
Steve,
Best regards,
Jim B
Steve,

Just wanted to let you know that is was the Governor shaft O-ring causing the fuel leak. So problem solved.
I did end up needing to remove the pump from the engine to get access to the O-ring. A younger more agile person may have been able to do it on the rig,
Removing the VE pump is a big chore with the engine in a vehicle!

Wood Engineering Machine tool Machine Metal

Here is a picture of the pump with the shaft pulled out enough to swap the o-ring. A pump shop advised me to tie the throttle wide open and not pull the shaft out further than necessary as you could allow the governor weights to come off of the shaft. The o-ring was brittle and broke when I tried to remove it from the shaft. I changed a few othe seals and they were not brittle so I did not do a complete tear down.

Anyway happy to have the Tahoe back up and running without a fuel leak!
Thanks for your help!
Jim B

Reactions: irhunter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve,
Best regards,
Jim B
Steve,
Best regards,
Jim B
Steve,

Just wanted to let you know that it was the Governor shaft O-ring causing the fuel leak. So problem solved.
I did end up needing to remove the pump from the engine to get access to the O-ring. A younger more agile person may have been able to do it on the rig,
Removing the VE pump is a big chore with the engine in a vehicle!

View attachment 134042
Here is a picture of the pump with the shaft pulled out enough to swap the o-ring. A pump shop advised me to tie the throttle wide open and not pull the shaft out further than necessary as you could allow the governor weights to come off of the shaft. The o-ring was brittle and broke when I tried to remove it from the shaft. I changed a few other seals and they were not brittle so I did not do a complete tear down.

Anyway happy to have the Tahoe back up and running without a fuel leak!
Thanks for your help!
Jim B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts