Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VE rotary injection pump and I think the timing from Frito-Lay is too advanced. On my motor there are two marks on the timing cover and one mark on the pump. The mark on the pump is a 1/4" to the right of the closer mark on timing cover(towards the block advanced). It seems a little loud and clattery and smokes black on accelaration. Should I retard it by a 1/8" which would leave me at 1/8" advanced? What is the typical distance between the timing marks?

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
You can try that and see how it acts but first make a "reference scratch" as to where it is currently set. You may also want to check your valve lash settings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the procedure for checking valvle lash. Also is there any reason for Frito-Lay would have the timing soo far advanced.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Setting valve lash clearance was covered in:
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057

Your pump may not be the original pump that came with your engine. They may have pulled a pump off another disabled van and installed it on your engine just to keep the van on its route, or perhaps the van was running on the tired side and they thought bumping the timing would bring it back up to speed.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
and once in a blue moon the whole injection pump will rattle loose. This happened to me on the way back from a 1500 mile trip.. I had to guestimate and sure enough I was too far advanced. Frito Lay mechanics also don't always get it right. If it were me I would take it to a dealer or some sort or read up and set back to stock... You need a dial gauge if I remember correctly.. I made a little tab to index what my stock timing is. I could measure if you if you'd like. This is on a 105 hp model, I think the build is 0858 if I remmeber correctly...

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna try and turn it back to the second of the two marks on the cover which I believe is stock and see how it runs, and advance it from there. I will keep you posted on my findings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts