Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here but I've been lurking for months. I got a descent deal on a 4BT without a fuel pump (came with a VE originally). Unfortunately for me, I thought a VE pump was a VE pump and that was that. Now I'm finding out there are several variants out there but I'm not having much luck finding a pump.

I searched the forum and found a thread that lists the different strokes in the fuel pumps but didn't really help me with my issue.

I looked up my ESN on Cummins Quickserve for the fuel pump and found out that mine came with the Cummins part # FP97135 or Bosch part number 0460424055 fuel pump. I think VP-14 is another reference point for the pump as well.

I've called several pump shops and they don't have cores to rebuild for me. Even if they did, it would be extremely expensive. I have found several pumps for sale on eBay and through other rebuilders but they aren't the same part number. I've also found cores, but no guarantee they'll match.

Onto the question. Do all of the VE pumps have the same gear on them? Does the stroke really matter that much when it comes to the pumps? Do I have to go back with the exact same pump that came off the engine or can I get a different pump? Are there any modifications needed if I get a different model number pump?

Me engine CPL is 0858.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess the bigger question is can I make this engine run with any another VE pump? I've read some threads where people have changed pumps but were advised against it if they had the original. Surely there isn't that much difference between these things.

I called Oregon Fuel Injection and they said they can convert a few pumps to match the original that came with this engine and there are only slight differences internally. Surely some of these engines are ticking along with fuel pups other than the exact specifications that they were built with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info...

The original cummins part number is FP97135 or 3917530rx (refurbished).

The corresponding VE pumps that can be converted to the original are Bosch part numbers 0460424074, 0460424045, and 0460424054.

·
Registered
11,056 Posts
OK. Your CPL 858 is the most common road use engine. Even on those there may have been more than one injection pump. To answer one question, yes, you can use different VE pumps on the engine. It is interesting that the Bosch number I see for that CPL is 0460 424 055. Cummins does have a bad habit of changing part numbers a lot. Of course you could get one at Cummins but you'd probably need some EMT's to wake you up after you passed out from shock. Rebuilding can run from the $600 to over $1000 range. There were some new pumps that showed up on ebay a while back that were pretty cheap, but they're gone now. Maybe some of the guys have some other ideas. No real cheap way out unless you can rebuild it yourself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Char1355.

From what I've heard about the pump, the head was bad and that increases the cost to about $1,500 at a minimum to rebuild. Thats still better than the Cummins price of $2,300 for a reman unit. I've found several other options as far as the pumps go and was finally able to get somewhat of a consensus after talking to about 7 different pump shops and 1 4BT mechanic across the U.S. today.

So here's what I have so far...

Apparently the pump shops only rebuild and/or order the exact pump that came with the engine in attempts to maintain the nameplate rating of the engine. They will not guarantee proper operation if you go with anything other than the original pump part number. It's difficult to get in touch with someone that not only knows the pumps but also how the engines run. After talking to a 4BT mechanic (probably who I should have talked to to begin with but very hard to find), he claims any VE type pump can be used if you're wanting to increase power and aren't concerned with maintaining the factory nameplate rating. This is where I have consensus (between char1355 and this mechanic that is). Since I do plan to have the injectors freshened up and will most likely be replacing the turbo, going with a pump other than the factory type shouldn't be a problem. However, my understanding is that I should attempt to find another on road pump.

I'm still doing a little more research before buying a pump, but at least the next guy that is searching for keywords like VP-14, and those part numbers will have a bit more information to go off of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to contact him via PM and no response. I'll post a reply to his sale post once I am able. I have to get up to 10 posts to be able to post in that forum.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You are basically looking for a 4BT VE pump, with an OTR governor & a boost compensator (LDA) at a minimum. The original CPL858 pump is also equipped with a KSB, which is an advance mechanism designed to reduce cold start smoke/emissions. You can run a non-KSB pump on a engine designed for KSB without ill effects. The only hardware difference, that I know of, between various CPL's are the delivery valves, rest is in the calibration which is adjustable.

593, 690, 727, 762, 767, 858, 595, 857, 986, 1260, 1839 are all OTR CPL's which might aid your search. Some of us have the VE pump book which allows us to xref pump p/n to CPL, I'm sure if you ask someone will help.

Forget about getting a VW or Land Rover pump and re-configuring it, too much hardware is different. Lastly, Badger Diesel in WI was selling new pumps for around $700-$800. Give them a call.

·
Registered
11,056 Posts
I'd think $700-800 for a new pump would be a good bargain. Sure beats the heck out of $1500 for a rebuild. Like Goat pointed out, the KSB is not a necessity. We see road engine with and without. The LDA you would want. Many industrial 4bt pumps don't have that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like they get $795 for the pump and $300 core charge. That's a new pump, not rebuilt and not chinese. That's the best deal so far. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did find a descent deal on a pump. It's bosch part number 0-460-424-049. Is there any way to tell if that's an on road pump?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Bosch 0 460 424 049 is not listed in my Cummins IP book. I can't say with certainty that it is an OTR application. A search of this site returned one, 6yr old thread, with that Bosch p/n unfortunately not much info in it. Google returns code designation as VE 4/12 F 1400 R 314-1 for 0 460 424 049. Assuming this code is accurate, it tells me you have the right rotation, plunger diameter and a governor is set for 2,800 rpm which are all attributes of an OTR pump.

Question is how much do you like to gamble? Your best bet is to have a Bosch dealer or pump shop look up the part in ESItronic and tell you as much as they can. If they could at least confirm the code is accurate that could validate my assumption.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the lookup. I just ordered a pump from Badger Diesel. As far as risk goes, I'd much rather have a new pump than a reman unit of questionable workmanship.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks for the lookup. I just ordered a pump from Badger Diesel. As far as risk goes, I'd much rather have a new pump than a reman unit of questionable workmanship.
I purchased my new ve pump from badger diesel and it was exactly was described. It's worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yeah, we've steered a few board members in their direction coincidentally... Almost to the point that we should ask them to institute a board member discount. :) Did you buy a pump with KSB or without?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I only asked for an on road pump. Not sure whether I'll have KSB or not. He did give me a little break on the price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts