Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a Jeep Cherokee Chief for a good price. Do you guys think that that body is to heavy for a 4BTA? And would I have to do a spring over the axle lift to get it to fit? It has a 360 with turbo 400 and dana 44's. I would try to leave that stuff at first.

Thanx Dust

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Those are on my list of cool vehicle choices. A J-Truck would be awesome too.

no clue about fitment, but i'm sure you could do itbounce

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I know of several 4BT and 6BT swaps into FSJ's. A 4BT should fit just fine, and if tweaked a bit, should make more power than the 360.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx guys just what I needed tp hear. Just needed a little reassurance (sp) . What do you think about the dana 44's strength wise. And if I did a spring over would a 33 in tire fill the wheelwell?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanx guys just what I needed tp hear. Just needed a little reassurance (sp) . What do you think about the dana 44's strength wise. And if I did a spring over would a 33 in tire fill the wheelwell?
Dont cherokees (not the old cherokee chiefs/wagoneers) have coils? They're already a springover.

·
Registered
500 Posts
the fullsized ones are all leaf springs and are spring under front and spring over rear.
Like older (Pre-1995) or something? I've never seen a jeep cherokee with factory leafs. They've all been coils.

http://www.amxfiles.com/amc/xj.html

Looks like Everything 1984 had coils. I guess we're on the same page. The old cherokee chiefs (2 door) and Wagoneer (4 doors) are what I'm thinking of. it seems like when they went to the coil setup the bodies got significantly smaller.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Since we've sort of clarified you have leaves, yeah, a spring over would clear 33's with the stock springs IMO. It'd also depend on backspacing & wheel width.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Like older (Pre-1995) or something? I've never seen a jeep cherokee with factory leafs. They've all been coils.

http://www.amxfiles.com/amc/xj.html

Looks like Everything 1984 had coils. I guess we're on the same page. The old cherokee chiefs (2 door) and Wagoneer (4 doors) are what I'm thinking of. it seems like when they went to the coil setup the bodies got significantly smaller.
this is a grand wagoneer:

the cherokee chief to my knowledge was just a trim package, like an eddie bauer explorer...

there was crossover of fullsize jeeps and the XJ body style. Up until 1992, in 1993 the grand cherokee replaced the grand wagoneer.

they came in different varieties, but the fullsize waggy's had D44 fronts, low pinion drivers or pass drop depending on year, and either AMC20 or D44 rears. The AMC20 was pretty stoudt axle, though the CJ versions had common weak points. the waggy version had bigger tubes and came stock with one piece axle shafts.

Another major difference other than pure size is that waggy's and the FSJ's had frames and came commonly with 360's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts