Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to help a friend move a grill this week. He is an engineer. In his work bag sat an infrared digital thermometer. Just aim, shoot, and sweep.

My turbo oil line sit about 1/4" inch under the hood, the housing itself sat about an inch below the hood. I measured the temp 3-4 minutes after running at highway speeds.

The "hotspot" on the hood was where the turbo lies underneath, no surprise. The max temperature was 143 F. I popped the hood and shot the turbo, housing was 530ish and exhaust was 430ish. I bet the sun makes to hood hotter on a hot day!

Not sure how applicable it is to everyone...... but it is real world verified to +/- 1 degree F under said conditions.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Depending on your vehicle that might be useful to see where you need more insulation or shields to insulate interior panels.
Went to help a friend move a grill this week. He is an engineer. In his work bag sat an infrared digital thermometer. Just aim, shoot, and sweep.

My turbo oil line sit about 1/4" inch under the hood, the housing itself sat about an inch below the hood. I measured the temp 3-4 minutes after running at highway speeds.

The "hotspot" on the hood was where the turbo lies underneath, no surprise. The max temperature was 143 F. I popped the hood and shot the turbo, housing was 530ish and exhaust was 430ish. I bet the sun makes to hood hotter on a hot day!

Not sure how applicable it is to everyone...... but it is real world verified to +/- 1 degree F under said conditions.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,667 Posts
On a 90 F day in Arizona, hood temp 164 F and turbo housing was 350 F after a 8 mile round trip to Discount Tyre. used a infrared digital thermometer from HF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts