Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts
Is that an OM617? What's your turbo upgrade. Who's the noble faired, long-haired leaping gnome? You? Looks great. How does it pull?

·
Registered
232 Posts
More info please! What tranny did you use, how did you adapt it? What knd of mileage are you getting? Will it go the speed limit and faster? Can it pull hills? Have you towed with it? Is the truck 4x4?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is me i havnt driven it yet i used the stock mbz trany made a damn expensive drive shaft finishing up the pillow bushing support today. the turbo is divide entry t3 i have for another project so i just put it on there i ordered a down pipe i will get the ac hoses made today as well this will be my dd for a long ass time . my mpg max w/m injection system comes with egt and bosst guage but its on back order so im not turnin up the fuel... yet i may get propane injection if its to slow on wvo
Is that an OM617? What's your turbo upgrade. Who's the noble faired, long-haired leaping gnome? You? Looks great. How does it pull?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Sure sounds different than my car? Keep us posted on how this swap does on the road. Randy

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like what you have done so far. Keep us posted I am debating a 1/2 ton dodge swap to have A/C even though the jeep i built works good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like what you have done so far. Keep us posted I am debating a 1/2 ton dodge swap to have A/C even though the jeep i built works good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_siyBDyrMkI here it is at 80ish i got ac lines made $$$$ rented a broken vacume pump wasted a new evaporator and oriface meter filter thing made me very mad im waiting on a not broken vacume pump , evaporator. meter thing. i installed the snow performance mpg max kit junk....junk walmart wirecrimps goop........... goop on $1000 kit. i dont use crimps i solder my wires labor is love the controller box is bad from snow performance the want me to take my kustom fake ostritch skin dash apart three times i installed the defective unit that was on back order 2 months they want me to uninstall it mail it back to them put my dash back together drive with no egt guage wait for a new one take it apart reinstall put it back agian dont do business with them unless you got time and money at the same time for a long time. wire crimps and goop two things a professional should never use.

as for 1/2 dodge swap idea i recomend 12 valve 24valve maybe a nice vacation but not a 617 swap in a 1/2 ton my yota swap is blast to drive my 1/2ton gmc 617 is a dodge i mean dog but it sure does sound fast

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
The turbo is too big and it will overstress the engine from constantly high EGTs.
When Dodge put the cummins in the first gen 5.9,it had a 21 cm exhaust housing...and went down to a 18cm,when the HX35 was installed,it had a 12cm2 wastegated housing,and the auto trucks from about 94 had the HY35's with a 9cm2 wastegated housing,,,the Hy's had a real fast boost,but spiked the egt's..but not so high as to be a problem with the engine,because they were under factory warrenty...so,Dodge had a turnaround from low (boost) slow (large housing) to higher (boost,)and smaller faster exhaust housing,.....so how do you figure that comment you made will overstress the engine with high egt's??? What would you offer as a substitute turbo?? Size/housing....etc??Maybe a brand,or series....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have a snow performance mpg max w/m injection system with it i never get above 1100 towing my camper or boat with it off or out of water i can to 1350 easily but no higher i agree its to big for a single but would be a good low pressure turbo in a compound set up. i now 7000 miles on the swap no real problems to date. if i run 50/50 w/m it feels like my 86 silverado with a 350 still in it. jubel are you om617?
The turbo is too big and it will overstress the engine from constantly high EGTs.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Jubel, OM617, FI, all the same attitude.... Such negativity, so as to discourage.
The song is "April Wine" not sure of the artist at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
i have a snow performance mpg max w/m injection system with it i never get above 1100 towing my camper or boat with it off or out of water i can to 1350 easily but no higher i agree its to big for a single but would be a good low pressure turbo in a compound set up. i now 7000 miles on the swap no real problems to date. if i run 50/50 w/m it feels like my 86 silverado with a 350 still in it. jubel are you om617?
jubel is out watching cartoons.....can't/won't explain reasoning of his comment.Its obstruction to just say it won't work,but never offer an alternative solution.....happy happy joy joy,he aint....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts