Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you hook up the voltage regulator?

Wiring a 93 6bt from a dodge, to a 84 toyota FJ60. There was no voltage regulator in the harness I got, so I got one from napa. I rann the VR as a T between the green/green orange and the green/blue on the alternator respectively, the VR has a green/blue wiring.

Were still not getting the alternator to charge the battery when the engine is running. :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
refering to the dtr faq, does 12v ignition source mean from the pcm? i think thats how we have it hooked up,

the green/orange comes from the PCM through the ASD and the green comes from the PCM directly
which one goes to the "red line" in the pic? Or Both?

otherwise i think I got it

·
Registered
45 Posts
That picture of the regulator dont show the output stud. The regulator is connected to 12volt ignition on the center pin for 12volt referance,this is how it knows to charge or not. The one small stud on the alternator is connected to 12volt ignition as well. The other small stud is connected to the right pin of the regulator to ground the other side of the coil in the alternator that makes it charge. The regulator then must be on a good ground surfice to make it work. The ground side is the side that is varyed to the rate of charge. For example,dead battery=full ground, full battery = no gruond. The large output that is not marked on that picture is straight to battery B+. Hope this helps. P.S. The grounding of the regulator is most often peoples mistake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts