Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone swapped a 240 engine into anything, i have found a really well maintained high miles but very clean 240 ws considering buying it jsut to drop into my short wheel base 2 wd dakota, but not sure about fuel milage swap would be very simple i could most likely use the volvo tranny or easily get a T 18 any thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
those engines are junk. I had a 760 turbodiesel for my first car, and it sounded beautiful but the engine was nothing but trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I can second they are junk.. I believe they are made by VW if I remember correctly, incredibly unreliable and frought with problems..

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know where the unreliability issues came from, these engines are known for going 300k+ miles easily. Not overly powerful, but will move a stock compact pickup without a problem. I swapped one into a Wrangler, but wasn't able to complete the swap because of things going on in my life at the time. It was pretty easy to adapt to a T-18 by using the Volvo bellhousing and machining it to fit the front of the T-18. All it needed was a small bore machined, and the front of the T-18 drilled and tapped for the Volvo bolt pattern.

And yes, the engine is built by VW, and is a 6 cyl. version of the VW diesels used in many cars here in the U.S. Those engines are also known for running forever, and getting exceptional mileage. The 2.4 Volvo engines are used extensively in europe.

Jim

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My sister had one in a Volvo wagon in France that went about 150k before dying...a record as far as I can tell.A good friend runs a Volvo wrecking yard in Wisconsin and he said it was the worst POS Volvo ever put in a car and got many requests each week for complete motors.There was a company that made a kit to replace the vw with a Ford 302; I think I still have one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well i just found this thread and had to reply. I just finished a Wrangler swap with a D24T. It has been a fun project to do and thus far has been an ok swap. I had to make my own adapter plate and throwout bearing holder as it is adapted to the origional Jeep transmition. Don't know the specifics on fuel consumption or power, in the process of tuning the engine and will have drivability results in a few weeks. I know severl people who have had this engine and love them in there car. As for any unreliability issues they sure are not from the engine side, all from the car electronics side. You can't get a simpler engine, it's no different make up than a 4BT. Time will tell, I might go back to a 350! though I would hate to give up my diesel Jeep.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I believe they are made by VW if I remember correctly, incredibly unreliable and frought with problems..
made by vw, with the same bore and stroke of the 1.6idi... btw what kind of problems they had, any issue related to overheating and head gaskets burn as the 1.6idi?

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
At one time I had a 1984 Volvo with this diesel in it,it was NON turbo,and was really a VW engine....I got 38 MPG from it at Interstate speeds with the family,and luggage.It took forever to get up to speed,had to replace glow plugs every couple of years,and it was reliable.....at 188k miles,one of the kids ran it wide open ( I found out later) which was only about 75 MPH,and it ran hot,and the head gasket let coolant leak into the cylinders....they parked it and claimed the battery was dead....well,it was jumped off,but the damage was done,it never ran the same,and was "retired" soon after the episode....it had a non overdrive transmission,and I think it had 3:31 rear gears....I really liked that car !!!It cost $16 grand in 84,when my 85 Mustang GT cost about $12 grand !!!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
volvo already had too much know-how about diesels, so i really can't wonder why they had used this volkswagen engine... btw an elder from my neighborhood told me once that the problem of these engines was the water pump too much underrated... in the 4cyl the water pump had a 60mm rotor, while the ideal should be 72mm (even a current flexfuel 1.0L volkswagen has a bigger water pump rotor, about 70mm)...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts