Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what frequency vss sends, it´s pulse/mile i believe?:confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anybody have open rear end, if someone could count how many teeth is in exciter ring i can calculate the frequency?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would also like to know this.

I'm trying to tie my cruise into the tach so I can idle the truck up. The cruise doesn't work until 35 mph, so that is going to be alot of pulses.

What are you trying to do with the Vss Tmi_13?

OOPs, just saw you had a chevy, I'm sure they're different from the fords.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I need to make my own vss since dodge had it in the rear end, obviously i dont have dodge rear and my tranny wont shift without vss signal.
But what i see in pictures, exiter ring has lot of tooth. I bet it´s same frequency as chevy´s vss 128000 pulse/mile, too bad i dont have that one ether, it was in chevy´s transfer case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you looked at maybe a modified Ford Vss? I know many of them were right on the speedometer cable connection. My ZF5 had one on it, 1991 vintage.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I would also like to know this.

I'm trying to tie my cruise into the tach so I can idle the truck up. The cruise doesn't work until 35 mph, so that is going to be alot of pulses.

What are you trying to do with the Vss Tmi_13?

OOPs, just saw you had a chevy, I'm sure they're different from the fords.

hardwire the cruise, it should just be a vacuum actuated servo. There should be two solenoids, one to increase vacuum (throttle up) and one to decrease vacuum (throttle down) This is my understanding of a dodge unit, but i would expect others to be similar. you can have a momentary toggle to raise and lower the throttle in small increments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hardwire the cruise, it should just be a vacuum actuated servo. There should be two solenoids, one to increase vacuum (throttle up) and one to decrease vacuum (throttle down) This is my understanding of a dodge unit, but i would expect others to be similar. you can have a momentary toggle to raise and lower the throttle in small increments.
How would it respond without Vss input???

I was also thinking that I have a little signal generator that goes right in the speedometer cable. It was part of some very early emissions on a 71 or 72 F-100 and was bolted to the ds inner fender. The cable screws in both sides and 2 wires come out the side. I am not sure the frequency but it is no doubt just a square type sine wave like a hall effect or similiar.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont have speedo meter cable connection anywere, but just ordered speed sensor and signal adjuster from dakota digital, that goes on drive shaft. Will see if that works.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
How would it respond without Vss input???

I was also thinking that I have a little signal generator that goes right in the speedometer cable. It was part of some very early emissions on a 71 or 72 F-100 and was bolted to the ds inner fender. The cable screws in both sides and 2 wires come out the side. I am not sure the frequency but it is no doubt just a square type sine wave like a hall effect or similiar.
if it were truly hardwired, it wouldn't care. i've seen people use it as a "thumb throttle" for offroad vehicles for winching.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The cruise control servo on my truck is all electronic. It has the throttle cable coming out of it and about 7 wires going into it. Any ideas for idling it up that way??

·
Registered
256 Posts
The cruise control servo on my truck is all electronic. It has the throttle cable coming out of it and about 7 wires going into it. Any ideas for idling it up that way??
I highly doubt that it'd operate very well.
I operated the cruise on my van while on jackstands, it constantly varies in speed and never stabilizes, it too is the electronic unit.
The unit obviously isn't programmed to be operated on low load conditions.
There is a driveline vibration that I was diagnosing at the time so it was rather easy to do.

IMHO The simple answer of using a hand cable may be the best, but engineering a solution could also be a neat task.

Most aftermarket electronic speedometers use a 8,000 Pulse Per Mile signal originating from a speed sensor on the transmission/transfer case.
On some Fords like 92-96 F/E series, there is only a sensor in the rear, that the speedometer reads a 108 tooth or 120 tooth exciter ring. The speedometer then sends a converted signal of 8,000 ppm for the powertrain computer and cruise control to read properly, provided the proper speedometer constant is programmed for the tire size and exciter tooth count.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did the speed sensor work?

I dont have speedo meter cable connection anywere, but just ordered speed sensor and signal adjuster from dakota digital, that goes on drive shaft. Will see if that works.

Did the signal adjuster from Dakota Digital work? What type of speed sensor did you order? I am trying to hook up the cruise and a dodge speedometer in my Chevrolet crew cab.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the signal adjuster from Dakota Digital work? What type of speed sensor did you order? I am trying to hook up the cruise and a dodge speedometer in my Chevrolet crew cab.
Sorry i haven been able to write here in a while. but i´m back. Yes it did work the computer now sees speed signal, but unfortunately by tranny still does NOT shift gears. I´m getting little frustrated.
I used the universal sensor, with magnetic pickup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts