Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

VW adapter/transmission options/ideas

17K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  EVguy 
#1 ·
I would like to install an ALH into an FJ40. What are the options for transmissions? Bellhousing options? I would like to use the stock toyota axles so the transfer case would have to be both axles out the pass side. I was thinking the Dana 18 for a transfer case? I would like some opinions as I would like to learn some options. Thanks.

#2 ·
advance adapters to toyota 22R trans? a 5sp might get a bit long but there is a 4sp too from the early 80s. or perhaps a suzuki samurai or sidekick trans? the samurai has the offset rear diff as well although I'm not sure how well that drivetrain would hold up to more weight AND diesel torque. it would depend on usage and tire size wether or not the t-case would live. I think the toyota stuff might be the best. it's probably possible to run a centered output t-case with the landcruiser offset diffs. just the driveshaft angle will be a little to the side instead of inline.

#3 ·
I did see that option. I had read somewhere that the vw bellhousing was the same as the older dakotas??? If they are then I would lean more towards that with an AX15 with an advance adapter to a dana t-case. But I'm not sure this set up will work....

#4 ·
I'm not familiar at all with FJ's so sorry there. But there are a two easy ways to do the job. Can do a R or W series toyota trans with adapter kit from Acme, or the 94-95 dakota 2.5L bell to ax 15. Here's one here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Dakot...Parts_Accessories&hash=item462394e7e4&vxp=mtr As for the flywheel with that setup, I'm not 100% sure the dakota flywheel will bolt to the vw. From pics I can see on the web of dakota flywheel shims, it has the correct pattern. But of course all the photos of dakota flyhweels are stock photos of some random one. I should see if the engine machine shop I work with has an old dakota 2.5L laying around...

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you. That is what I was wondering, if that trans would fit the vw. I can get them local, the whole trans with a bellhousing for about 150 bucks. Let me know if they have a flywheel to see if it fits. That would make my install a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of adapters. Thanks.

The only thing for this install that would make the FJ different is both the axles are offset to the pass side.

#7 ·
I do think that if that all bolted together it would make a nice rear wheel set up for the vw. I will try and do some searching on it also. I think their are 2 different ax15's as well a long input and short.... I don't know which one would fit. I would like to try this swap this winter if it all fits.

#8 ·
I was told again today by the transmission shop that I deal with that it will bolt up. They did say that the Jeep AX-15 will bolt to the bell housing. Then it would be able to accept at T-case. I could change over the main shaft but it would be cheaper to buy a cheap 4x4 unit. The 2 wheel drive Dakota unit is the only one that used the 14 spline input they said. So if a person used the Jeep unit you would have to use the Jeep clutch I assume... And I did see that Novak and Advance Adapters has adapters for the rear of the trans for different t-case options. I think this would make an easy way to more swap options.

#11 ·
Reactions: fjdiesel
#12 ·
Using this thread as inspiration I took my vw 1.9td aaz motor to the wrecking yard and tested a 94 Dakota 2.5 bellhousing. I was hopeful for an easy way to put it in my Jeep Wrangler. It does NOT fit. Similar but does not fit. I am under the impression that vw motors from 79 to like 05 use the same bolt pattern so I must assume that the bellhousing from the Dakotas does not work for them.
Thought I would pass this info on.
Thanks

#16 · (Edited)
If you want to shell out almost $2k for just the plate and other small bits then yes, hpa does. For those of us in the real world, I'm in design phase of making tdi adapter plates that will then make the back of the motor into whatever you want to replace. So far 2 planned are SBC and 4.0 jeep. Target Price is $800 for plate and crank adapter, all CNC machined with dowels. No laser cut steel sloppy stuff like a certain adapter company.

#19 ·
how is the project going? btw i gotta admit that i'm kinda surprised that you considered to fit a tdi into a 40-series landcruiser...

anyway, if i were you i'd probably look for the transmission, transfer case and rear axle of a tacoma... by the way, i don't remember where i've seen the pictures, but somebody already fitted an entire 40-series double-cab pickup body into a tacoma frame with the 40-series front axle instad of the tacoma's ifs

#21 ·
because it's more popular for swaps into smaller vehicles, and the landcruiser can be fitted with bigger engines quite easily, and in spite of having seen many diesel-powered 40-series landcruisers i have never seen any with a volkswagen engine

#22 ·
cripple_rooster that is what I thought before also. But after talking to people that little motor with a simple turbo and injector upgrade has more power than a 350 chevy. The other thing I thought was that I will be losing weight on the vehicle rather than making it a tank. In stock form the fj40 and the 02 Jetta weigh the same.

#23 ·
After doing a TDI swap in my Ranger and now my Cherokee I have a few TDI adapters on my web site.
http://gastodiesel.tdconversions.com/
It includes the adapter, crank hub and starter.
The adapter uses the original dowel pins on both engine and trans for perfect alignment.

Here is a video of the Ranger with a stock 1.9L TDI.
https://youtu.be/fw77vU7-b98

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.