Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Vw bus alh mtdi build

8K views 55 replies 8 participants last post by  Adventurewagen 
#1 ·
Finally getting started on my bus tdi swap! I'll be posting a big backlog of pics from the start until present.

First up was I found a donor car, 01 jetta for 100 bucks! It was quite a drive and a bit of a fiasco but well worth it. Next day had the engine out ready to strip it down for a rebuild/upgrades.

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
So is your van 4wd or 2wd? Looks 4wd with those tyres but 2wd with the tail-housing on that transmission.

First time I've seen inside pics of a subaru transmission. People had told me over the years that they drove back through the main-shaft and that was impossible. But I see they drive through the idler shaft which makes perfect sense.

#22 ·
Cooling will be done with a new type 2 front grill and rad. Was gonna do an in bay dual radiator setup but decided to change as I've seen a few dome that way and they don't seem to cool very well. Ordered a grill from a guy in Mexico, unfortunately the new style front sheet metal is now unavailable so I'll be making that from scratch.

Attachments

#24 ·
Made a bushing to keep shift rod only moving linear and rotational, subi trans shift rod comes out off to the side so had to make a universal shaft to join the bus to the subi trans. Mocked up and seems to be shifting good. I'll be switch the o ring for safety wire as soon as I find it in my mess.
Hand Finger Thumb Wood Nail
Wood Finger Thumb Gas Wrist
Material property Wood Gas Office supplies Asphalt
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Tints and shades