Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

VW Into Suzuki Samurai Swaps

102K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  Amolln 
#1 ·
Anybody ever done or seen one of these? http://www.acmeadapters.com offers some setups, and there was a company here in the Houston area at one time offering conversions. Just curious!

CD

#10 ·
Next project

I plan on using the acme kit to transplant my 1.9 TDI into a '85 4Runner chassis. Taking it one step further and putting a 51/52 Jeep pick-up body on the Toyota chassis. It will my wife's WVO/diesel daily driver. Gotta love a wife that encourages this sort of thing.

Attachments

#13 ·
I had no idea !!!.. I've always been a fan of Sami's but the only engine swap I ever saw that was worth a shit was a 4.3 Chev motor install, but then the trans cacked. I never saw a good transplant.

Amazing what you can learn when there is nothing on TV!@!

This VW diesel convert looks like a very interesting way to go. 75HP with torque in a truck that small could be fun to drive.

The ACME outfit looks like they actually give a shit about what you are doing, which is exactly what you're looking for in a company to do business with. I like em'

I also never have seen a LWB Sami. where do all of them hide out?

I'll start keeping my eyes open, always looking for the next project.

LWB Sami With 1.9TD looks good to me!! Mini DeScrambler?

cdalejef: Could you post some bigger pics of your LWB Samuri? I'd really like to take a better look.

Randy

#14 · (Edited)
The most common Samurai swaps are the larger Suzuki motors like the 1.6L 8 valve TBI, 1.6L 16 valve MPI and 2.0L 16 valve MPI from the Sidekick/Tracker/Vitara's. The Suzuki Swift GT dual overhead cam motors are a good swap too but hard to find.
There are kits readily available for these swaps.

With the ACME kit you can also swap in VW gas motors. Toyota 22r swaps are seen from time to time as well.

The LWB Samurai's were not sold in the US but were in Canada. Finding one without rust is finding a needle in a haystack! It took me 8 years of searching to find one that wasn't full of holes.
I've received several requests for more pics of my LWB diesel so here are a few...

It seems I can't link pics because I don't have enough posts!

#24 ·
The 1.9l was not available in the US, I got this one from Canada. 1.6l were sold in the US but have a bit less power.

Here is the 92 Jetta 1.9l Turbo Diesel engine in the bay all wired, plumed and read for the road.

Looks like it was made to go in there...

#25 ·
You must install a minimum of a 2" suspension lift for the axle to clear the oil pan. I crunched some numbers and found out that I need 33" tires for the optimum RPM range using stock gearing, tranny and t-case. I built this rig for exploration type wheeling not rock crawling so highway cruising was very important.
I did a spring over lift with OME springs and shackel reversal. This gave me just the right clearance for the 33x10.50x15 Super Swamper TSL radials. It rode very nice and cruised well at 70mph.

Custom bumpers were build for strenght and to house the Warn 8000 and full size spare.

The grill is Japan spec that I found on eBay with integrated fog lights.

#26 ·
Added rear disc brakes to help slow down the taller tires...

And a disc with mechinical caliper for an e-brake on the output shaft...

On board air compressor for the ARB lockers, airing up tires and running power tools...

Underbody air tank...

ARB switches...

#27 ·
The stock seats leave a little to be desired when traveling long distances. I ran across a pair of Acura Integra seats for free. They are very comfortable and went in with out too much trouble...

Stock rear seat...

Mounted a CB up on the roll bar out of the way...

Unlike the standard wheel base Samurai, the LWB model has tons of room behind the rear seat. The rear passenger's also get quite a bit more leg room.

#30 ·
Dale:

I'M impressed , very nice looking rig. You've done a nice job of building something that people don't see every day, and it appears that everything you did was a plus.

I don't say this often at all, "I'd really like to have that truck!"

For me it would be the ultimate tow behind vehicle for the motor home I want. On a trailer of course. But still have the abilty to go on it's own.

I assume you're building a small trailer from a regular Sami tub to go with it?

Thanks for the pics.

A few Q's?

How much does it weigh? @

What RPMs are you running at 70MPH and does the engine like being there?

Did you do any mods to the drive train other than the SOA lift and ARB's?

What is the normal predicted life on the VW diesels?

You should be proud, you've built a very cool vehicle which will serve you well. But,,,, If for some reason you decide to sell it, I get first dibs!

Randy

#31 ·
Thanks Randy, it was alot of fun to build.

I've never weighed it but I'd guess around 3200, a stock Samurai weighs 2200
About 2500 rpm at 70mph, it seems perfectly happy there and gets about 32mpg.
No other drive train mods were needed, the stock Sammy axles, tranny and t-case are quite strong.
VW diesels go 300k plus with provide you do normal maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.