Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
I wired the glow plug light to the factory check engine light. This is a little more complicated since you have to tap into the circuit strip inside the cluster. Just takes a little soldering and the correct circuit.

The 1.9l was not available in the US, I got this one from Canada. 1.6l were sold in the US but have a bit less power.

Here is the 92 Jetta 1.9l Turbo Diesel engine in the bay all wired, plumed and read for the road.

Looks like it was made to go in there...

You must install a minimum of a 2" suspension lift for the axle to clear the oil pan. I crunched some numbers and found out that I need 33" tires for the optimum RPM range using stock gearing, tranny and t-case. I built this rig for exploration type wheeling not rock crawling so highway cruising was very important.
I did a spring over lift with OME springs and shackel reversal. This gave me just the right clearance for the 33x10.50x15 Super Swamper TSL radials. It rode very nice and cruised well at 70mph.

Custom bumpers were build for strenght and to house the Warn 8000 and full size spare.

The grill is Japan spec that I found on eBay with integrated fog lights.

Added rear disc brakes to help slow down the taller tires...

And a disc with mechinical caliper for an e-brake on the output shaft...

On board air compressor for the ARB lockers, airing up tires and running power tools...

Underbody air tank...

ARB switches...

The stock seats leave a little to be desired when traveling long distances. I ran across a pair of Acura Integra seats for free. They are very comfortable and went in with out too much trouble...

Stock rear seat...

Mounted a CB up on the roll bar out of the way...

Unlike the standard wheel base Samurai, the LWB model has tons of room behind the rear seat. The rear passenger's also get quite a bit more leg room.

Dale:

I'M impressed , very nice looking rig. You've done a nice job of building something that people don't see every day, and it appears that everything you did was a plus.

I don't say this often at all, "I'd really like to have that truck!"

For me it would be the ultimate tow behind vehicle for the motor home I want. On a trailer of course. But still have the abilty to go on it's own.

I assume you're building a small trailer from a regular Sami tub to go with it?

Thanks for the pics.

A few Q's?

How much does it weigh? @

What RPMs are you running at 70MPH and does the engine like being there?

Did you do any mods to the drive train other than the SOA lift and ARB's?

What is the normal predicted life on the VW diesels?

You should be proud, you've built a very cool vehicle which will serve you well. But,,,, If for some reason you decide to sell it, I get first dibs!

Randy

Thanks Randy, it was alot of fun to build.

I've never weighed it but I'd guess around 3200, a stock Samurai weighs 2200
About 2500 rpm at 70mph, it seems perfectly happy there and gets about 32mpg.
No other drive train mods were needed, the stock Sammy axles, tranny and t-case are quite strong.
VW diesels go 300k plus with provide you do normal maintenance.

2500 is actually slower than I expected, I figured more like 3000, but as long as it's firmly on the boost at that speed, and the motor pulls hills without having to downshift everytime you run over a bump in the road then all's well.

Phil was pretty excited about your truck, I'm look forward to seeing it in the mag.. If he needs someone to write the article I'll volunteer, you could just send me a bunch of pics, and as much background as you can and I can write a blurb about the truck. I've only read about a thousand of them I think I can handle it.

great ride!

Randy

Nice job! Hope it runs forever for you. How's the top heavys?:)

What kind of bell housing did you use? I wonder if its an SAE compatible. Tell us more about mating it to the trans. Is it a strong trans? Could it take a more powerful engine?

You really did a nice job. Any idea how difficult it would be to use a TDI and computer? I think the long wheel base Sami looks great.

Nice job! Hope it runs forever for you. How's the top heavys?:)

What kind of bell housing did you use? I wonder if its an SAE compatible. Tell us more about mating it to the trans. Is it a strong trans? Could it take a more powerful engine?
Not really top heavy at all, just don't drive it like a sports car.

I used the stock Suzuki bell housing and tranny. The Acme kit comes with a bell housing adapter. The stock trans hold up find as long as it's fresh, if it's still origional I'd completely rebuild it first. Use good synthetic oil! You also have the option to use the Sidekick/Tracker 5 speed which is stronger. You also have the option of using a Toyota tranny.

Cdale, love the rig. what model year is the LWB sammy you have?

I've been daily driving a 1990 jetta diesel for a long time now, its still a low miler 1.6. and really would love to do that sammy swap. seeing a nice one is great inspiration!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.