Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Ive got a 04 model TDI on order, should be here within a week or so. I saw the low milage (under a 100k), higher HP (90 bhp), and better efficiency (40+mpg) and bought the engine at auction before I researched into it and learned about the afore mentioned wiring nightmare. I had the salvage business i bought the engine from include the wiring harness, ecu computor, the gauges cluster, ignition, and the key from the original vehicle as I had herd there could be problems with the antitheft system in the computor. This will be my first 4wheeled vehicle engine swap, so anything I need to know?

Ive got a 04 model TDI on order, should be here within a week or so. I saw the low milage (under a 100k), higher HP (90 bhp), and better efficiency (40+mpg) and bought the engine at auction before I researched into it and learned about the afore mentioned wiring nightmare. I had the salvage business i bought the engine from include the wiring harness, ecu computor, the gauges cluster, ignition, and the key from the original vehicle as I had herd there could be problems with the antitheft system in the computor. This will be my first 4wheeled vehicle engine swap, so anything I need to know?
I guess i forgot to mention the vehicle the TDI is going into is an 86 soft top sammi. Does any one know if the engine mounts sold with the adapter kits from acme, rocky road, or else where will work with the TDI?

Jeff: did you ever hook up with Phil Howell? I haven't heard from you and I was just looking over the thread again and wondering if you were gonna make the mag. Sometimes Phil forgets and needs to be reminded, but you should keep after him. Your Sami is too cool to not have a place in the magazine.

When you do make it I will hook you up with an outfit that will professionally laminate the article to preserve it forever.

Here's a pic of one of mine, showing an article on my TJ Seat Lift Kit that I market and Mfg. They do a real nice job, and it shows your accomplishment in the best possible format.

Let me know

Randy

Attachments

Years ago I pulled the 1.6td from a 1984 VW Quantum wagon and dropped it in a 1987 Sami. 33" Goodrich MT's, Lock-rite lockers F&R, SPOA, fold down windshield, snorkel, spare on back, Hi-lift Jack, VHF/CB radio, F&R 2" hitches, F&R power plugs, Hella lights, bucket seats.

The stock 1.6td has enough power to do freeway speed and off road it will climb anything. Two years ago we got hit with snow, the whole city shut down, I put chains on all 4 and climbed every hill in the city, took groceries to my mother and sister, even stocked up on firewood for the house. Mileage is excellent, at least mid 30's or better.

I used the acme kit, great product, great support, my only regret is that I did not build 3 more at the same time.

All,

Not trying to revive this thread but I am doing the same thing to a 1993 2 door Geo Tracker. I already have the Safari Snorkel, Acme kit, a used 5 speed fom the junkyard and a VW 1.6L non -turbo. There is a guy in NC that has a turbo conversion for $250.00 for the normally aspirated 1.6. I am yanking out the throttle-body 1.6l gasser and pathetic 3 speed auto. The 3 speed turns about 4500 rpm on the interstate. Only good thing, is the diff gears are lower than normal so with the diesel and 5 speed, I should be getting some decent mileage. This is the first project I am going to do when I get back. The 4BT into the '90 F-350 is after this. Like mentioned above, anyone done this into a Tracker? A Sammy is close but there are differences.

All,

Sorry, the turbo conversion is $450 for the 1.6NA. In addition, there is a 1.6l turbo injection pump to replace the 1.6 non-turbo injection pump as well as a 1.9l pump camplate that will fit into the 1.6 TD pump for a little more go gas. He is also building a 1.9l TDI kit with a M-TDI pump to go on the 1.6 NA block. We will see.....he has 10 months before I get back stateside and start tearing into the Tracker.

I am doing the same thing to a 1993 2 door Geo Tracker. I already have the Safari Snorkel, Acme kit, a used 5 speed fom the junkyard and a VW 1.6L non -turbo. I am yanking out the throttle-body 1.6l gasser and pathetic 3 speed auto. Only good thing, is the diff gears are lower than normal so with the diesel and 5 speed, I should be getting some decent mileage.
an uncle of mine did it into a 4-door vitara from the same vintage, and got from 37mpg in city traffic to 47mpg in highway... but his former vitara was alredy factory-fitted with the 5spd... btw are you going to use the 5spd out of a toyota pickup or a chevette?

Rooster,

I have a 5 speed I picked up from a Suzuki Sidekick. I bought it as it was an easier kit from Acme. Notice I did not say it was an easier swap. This way, it pretty much fits in the rails where it is supposed to as the bolt holes are already there in the Tracker versus having to make them with the Toyota tranny.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.