Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
81 - 100 of 139 Posts
I have a trailer with an electric winch mounted to the front about bow level. I hang two poles from each front cleat by each side of the front hatch and they are tied together to hold them in an a frame shape. Maybe 8 ft long
The which cable goes to the a frsme and it stands straight up in the air. Then the jib halyard attaches to the opposite side of the a frame and is pulled tight and secured.

I hit the winch button and raise or lower the mast.

I never break a sweat but it requires my trailer.

Still takes a few hours from start to finish with rigging and hanging outboard, boom, sails and such.

So im pretty much stuck on my hartwell.

The carver will be both faster and easier to launch at different lakes
That's a pretty nice set up for getting the mast up. To bad there's no way to speed up the set up times.

Hartwell is a nice lake but I understand getting burnt out on visiting the same lakes all the time. I have two lakes near me, Cooley and Bowen, that I visted so much growing up that by my early 20's I quit boating and fishing.

The Carver will open up more area for a given period of time you have to go boating.

The reason I want to build the boat I have chosen is because it's trailerable and low draft for gunkholing. I may drag it down to Hartwell. I'm mostly building it for the Great Loop. For now, I am in the parts gathering stage. I plan to put saw to wood when my son leaves for the Air Force in 2021. I could start sooner depending on how life goes between now and then.

You're more patient than i am. I was aiming to have the boat painted, interior restored and engine swap completed before we head to the keys in june. I dont think that is happening any more. Between the holidays and the cold im already a month behind.

I still have not pulled my motor from the passat nor the carver.

But im glad i do at least have both the motor and the boat!

That's better than what i started with

It's finally almost 60 here today after nearly 2 weeks of it never getting north of 40...at times rarely above freezing. Hopefully it will last this weekend so i can start getting a passat engine removed.

Any recommendations? Do i need to drop the bottom cross beam or just unbolt the tranny and yank her out the top. While its cold and drark at 6pm i can at least get the engine harness out, slimmed down and ready for install.

Anyone got any wiring diagrams they can post so all of us doing these ecu controlled swaps can get our wiring harnesses started?

It's finally almost 60 here today after nearly 2 weeks of it never getting north of 40...at times rarely above freezing. Hopefully it will last this weekend so i can start getting a passat engine removed.

Any recommendations? Do i need to drop the bottom cross beam or just unbolt the tranny and yank her out the top. While its cold and drark at 6pm i can at least get the engine harness out, slimmed down and ready for install.

Anyone got any wiring diagrams they can post so all of us doing these ecu controlled swaps can get our wiring harnesses started?
I hope the weather holds for you. It’s super cold here as well! I am hoping someone can post some diagrams as well. If not a buddy of mine can access the factory wiring diagram and help with the stripping of the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're close to NC and we didn't get above freezing for a while. There's just something about living on the I-26 corridor that seems to funnel cold air from the mountains right down onto us.

I'm not sure about the lower cross member. The engine will need to shift over to slide it off the transmission on a manual. Don't forget to remove the torque converter to flexplate bolts if it's an auto. I can't remember which you bought. There should a plate between the engine and transmission on the bottom. Similar to a bell housing cover. Where you can access the bolts. You'll need to spin the engine over by hand to get them all.

There's a thread on TDI club that has the wiring pinouts for most ECUs. I think there are some full diagrams over there too. I haven't done a full TDI swap yet. I have done other Chevy, Jeep, and Furd swaps. It's pretty easy to unpin everything you don't need to keep the harness clean. If you're using Malone to retune your ECU, give them a call or email. They can help you decide what you want to keep or discard. That will also help them give you a better tune. Also, make sure you get everything for the glow plug system. I can't remember if the ECU controls that or if it's a stand-alone system. you'll need it either way, especially the relay. That thing is expensive because it's rated for extremely high amps and it also acts as a timer for the glow plug light.

Ill ask around on the tdi forum and post back what i found

I have the 04 (maybe 05) 2.0 passat....well 2 of them. I think i want to buy 2 or three more once these 2 are gone (1 sold and 1 parted) i want to put one in my 91 s10, i want to get a little montero or trooper to drop one in as well. My s10 is a 700r4, since there is no throttle i gotta see how a BHW would work with a kick down cable...attached to the throttle pedal maybe? Maybe just a 4l80e since i dont believe they use a tv cable. Plus one extra in case i decide to drop a 2nd I/O into my boat.

Ill ask around on the tdi forum and post back what i found

I have the 04 (maybe 05) 2.0 passat....well 2 of them. I think i want to buy 2 or three more once these 2 are gone (1 sold and 1 parted) i want to put one in my 91 s10, i want to get a little montero or trooper to drop one in as well. My s10 is a 700r4, since there is no throttle i gotta see how a BHW would work with a kick down cable...attached to the throttle pedal maybe? Maybe just a 4l80e since i dont believe they use a tv cable. Plus one extra in case i decide to drop a 2nd I/O into my boat.
Gasser autos don't shift well behind a TDI. The RPM and torque curves are off from my understanding. What originally came in the S10, 2.8L and 200R4?

The 700r4 also came behind the 6.2 diesels. A proper stall converter can be purchased as well as being beefed up to handle more torque and power. As for shifting points i think they are somewhat adjustable but someone more knowledgeable than me would have to answer that. The 700r4 used to be a very popular tranny for the MB 617 guys so it can't be too bad. With an auto the harder you press the go pedal the longer she stays in gear.

You do have to have a tv cable tied to the throttle.

As for the 4l60e, it shifts via solenoids and not vaccuum so a stand alone computer could easily be dialed in. Again, i asked about this because i don't think it requires a tv cable (or maybe it does if you're running a stand alone ecu vs an ecu mated to the engine and tranny)

But either choice you'll need the proper stall converter.

The 4l80e also came behind both gas and diesel chevy engines, same with the TH400. I think there is an adjustments on the outside of the th400/350 that controls how quick or slow the shifts are located inside a little diagram assemly, this is memory from nearly 20 years ago but i do know people who swapped from gas to diesel complained if a matching torque converter was not also used. Then again some didn't seem to care or notice.

I think most of the complaints about tdi gearing and tranny choices come from the Vw guys. In rwd and 4wd vehicles you can change both tire size and gearing to achieve proper rpms. Something most audi and passat or jetta guys don't have options for most of the time.

The guy going from a 350 to a 4bt may ditch those 4:88s for some 4:11s on 35s to get his rpms down...that wont change for a BHW or ALH

I think the most important part is the correct stall converter.

Guys use both the 4l80e and nv4500 with sbc, bbc, 6bt and 4bt with no complaints other than when they break something!

I just like the overdrive better (and smaller size) of the 4l60e over that of the 4l80e. If i had a 3/4 or 1 ton...sure...but for a smaller s10 or jeep 4l60e all the way.

The 700r4 shift points are adjustable under normal driving conditions by putting in stiffer or lighter gov springs (or maybe servo?)

As far as WOT shift points that all depends on your gearing in the axle, and tire size to be chosen based on your engines needs. The tdi revs similar to a bbc.

The correct stall converter is very important.

I love Google!

Glad you have a better understanding of transmission issues than me. Every time I read about 4x4 guys using an auto the torque and 4800 rpm redline throws the transmission shifting off.

My son and I have talked about building him a kit type T bucket for a high school project. I'd be using the 2.8L and auto trans from an S10 so we can run a full hood. He's young and doesn't need to be driving a 1500lb vehicle with a 300+ HP V8.

Glad you have a better understanding of transmission issues than me. Every time I read about 4x4 guys using an auto the torque and 4800 rpm redline throws the transmission shifting off.

My son and I have talked about building him a kit type T bucket for a high school project. I'd be using the 2.8L and auto trans from an S10 so we can run a full hood. He's young and doesn't need to be driving a 1500lb vehicle with a 300+ HP V8.
Those old 2.8 v6 motors won’t take much abuse. They like to snap crankshafts. I’ve seen many broken. Might be awesome to keep him out of trouble.

I wouldn't say they don't take much abuse. I had a 2.8 1985 firebird. Could not get it to spin the tires unless i let it roll backwards in neutral then drop it in gear then punch it. My god was i stupid.

Anyway, i got it used not running @97

I abused it several years then sold it. 4 or so years later my sister buys it and she could destroy an anvil. She resells it later, then years after that a cousin says she knows where it's at and tells us we could buy it back cheap. I didn't buy it back.

We couldn't kill it. Maybe mine was a lemon.

The only way is see the torque of a diesel throwing off a 700r4 is if it is either a large diesel (4bt) or making lots of power.

An improperly adjusted t.v. cable will kill it quickly too.

Why not build him an 80 hp 1.6 tdi!

I love the ideas of a tdi or mb in a small vehicle. I saw a YouTube video of an om617 miata!

The 6bt and 4bt rat rods are also becoming popular

Why not build him an 80 hp 1.6 tdi!

I love the ideas of a tdi or mb in a small vehicle. I saw a YouTube video of an om617 miata!

The 6bt and 4bt rat rods are also becoming popular
1.6 is hard to find. I'd like to stick with an engine that's still easy to get parts for. The 2.8L can be swapped for a newer 3.4L V6 from the rear drive GM cars. It's a bump in performance.

Who are you guys using for your tune? I've emailed the guy i was gonna use a few times and even left a voice mail a few weeks back and have not heared from him. Emailed him again this morning and nothing yet. I think i need to find someone else at this point. Ready to send it off but have a few ??? To ask so im 100% sure i wont have do do anything twice.

I need to get a hold of Malone tuning as well. Hoping they can tell me what wires to remove from harness and do the immobilizer delete. I’m thinking a mild tune as well. But it’s just way to cold and nasty out to do any work. I did buy a spare velvet drive transmission to use for mock up purposes as well as have a good spare. I’m also thinking a bellhousing from the old pathfinder marine vw set ups might just work well to mate motor and transmission together...I think. Now I just need to find one of those...

I need to get a hold of Malone tuning as well. Hoping they can tell me what wires to remove from harness and do the immobilizer delete. I’m thinking a mild tune as well. But it’s just way to cold and nasty out to do any work. I did buy a spare velvet drive transmission to use for mock up purposes as well as have a good spare. I’m also thinking a bellhousing from the old pathfinder marine vw set ups might just work well to mate motor and transmission together...I think. Now I just need to find one of those...

I'm not sure what differences, if any, there is between the 1.6 Pathfinder and the newer 1.9TDI. The Pathfinder engines were rare even when they were popular. A lot of them ended up getting scrapped in the 90's.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts